1. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

Cynthia's progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by cynthia_1968, Jun 30, 2014.

I've already written a novel and I'm currently working on a sequel.

My first novel is in the hands of my editor and is in Dutch language only.

I'm working on my second novel with the title: Hotel of the death - the black widow, is a bigger challenge since I write this in Dutch and English.

My goal is to write one chapter each week in Dutch and English.

But due to CTS - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - I have to take it easy. After 4 hours my right hand starts to hurt like hell and then I need to stop ASAP.

2. cynthia_1968

Well, I've five chapters already and due to the input I rewrote chapter one. I'm now working on chapter six titled Richard.

I take it easy, since my right hand starts to hurt :(

mom42terrificgirls likes this.
  3. cynthia_1968

I'm finally working on the last chapter of my translation of my first novel, Hotel of the Death - the chosen one.

I've now translated 81,865 words. Approx. 20,000 words to go.

One of the good things about my disease is that I can work on my Novel whenever I want.

The only thing that holding me back is the pain and the trembles in my right hand. Also the feeling in my fingers in my right hand is fading away slightly day-by-day.

I'll keep you posted...

TTFN
    Cynthia

4. cynthia_1968

I've now reached 84,268 words.... still 16,000 to go before I'm done...

In the meanwhile I've sent the first three chapters to multiple publishers. I'll let you know when I got a reply.

TTFN
    Cynthia

5. cynthia_1968

A new milestone: 90,268 words translated..... still approx. 10,000 words to go.

6. cynthia_1968

I've now 93,214 words translated from my first novel... approx. 7,000 to go.

Also I received one rejection from a publisher, but that's not the end of the world....

7. cynthia_1968

I've now 95,392 words translated from my first novel... approx. 5,000 words to go :)

8. mom42terrificgirls

mom42terrificgirls Member

Wow, you are amazing! Keep up the good work!

cynthia_1968 likes this.
  9. cynthia_1968

No worries, I will. Thank you ;)

10. cynthia_1968

I've now 100,022 words translated from my first novel... approx. 3,000 words to go :)

11. cynthia_1968

I've 109,758 words translated. I'm done with the translation!

Now I've to read it back to correct some grammar errors on the way!

12. cynthia_1968

In case you're interested, I created a book trailer for my novel:

I'm still waiting on the response of a publisher :pop:

13. cynthia_1968

My first book is self-published!

Just like some of you, I tried traditional publishing first but after a dozen rejections you come to the conclusion that either your writing sucks or there's not really an audience out there for your book. At least, not interesting enough for a traditional publisher.

Don't forget that a publisher has to invest time and money before your book is ready for the market.

I realize this and no, there aren't hard feelings from my part towards them, so I took the shot and self-published my own book, after hiring a very professional editor, and even found a few reviewers who were willing to share their opinion on the book. It turns out that they liked it.

One reviewer wrote, and I quote:

I just finished reading the Hotel of Death and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. The author provided me with a copy of her book in exchange for a honest review, which I am happy to provide.

This book is written in a unique style that Cynthia Fridsma took the time to develop each character. The book is divided from multiple viewpoints from the different characters in the book, allowing the reader to develop a complete picture of what is going on and why. It was exciting to see how each life intertwined into the others and how each character was thoroughly developed.

The Hotel of Death is a mix of a few genres which keeps it fresh and interesting compared to some other books that I have read recently. During the first few chapters you'd never expect vampires or any other crazy additions to the book, but then events unfold and escalate sucking in the reader.

I admire how Cynthia took the time to get locations factually right, especially when Richard visited the Freedom Trail in Boston. I walked this exact trail only a few years ago and was able to picture exactly what she was talking about and where. It brought back some great memories and pictures from my trip there.

Overall Sybil was likely my favorite character, she was extremely well-developed and played a creative role in the book. The author maintained the unique perspectives throughout the book which was exciting to see. The only minor complaint I have about the book is it seemed to have some superfluous sections that were a bit drawn out, but being so entertaining it is not a big deal. If you are into action/adventure/spy/vampire style books, this one is certainly for you.

Click here to view the original review

I created a new book-trailer too:

And a friend created this book-trailer:

I'm now working on my second book, titled: Hotel of Death: the black widow.

14. cynthia_1968

I am now stuck on 29,469 words for my new novel, Hotel of Death: the black widow. Approx. 100,000 words to go ;-)

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Are you using any critique advice or beta readers? Just curious.

I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Had a neurosurgeon who used an endoscope. I was very pleased with the outcome.

16. cynthia_1968

My husband gives critique advice, also my editor and feedback from beta readers. I'm always open for suggestions :)

The carpal tunnel syndrome I have, is unfortunately untreatable, I was told by the doctors, due to a functional tremor which I have for 18 months now. Also there's some damaged skin tissue on my wrist due to an accident on Elementary School, when I was 8. Since then I had no feelings in the tips of my fingers on the right hand. It's pretty messy due to old scar tissue.

I've to live with it, which is why I switched careers from being a nerdy programmer to a writer. Programming isn't an option any more for me :-(