1. Sydney

Sydney New Member

Kenneth Oppel

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sydney, Dec 18, 2008.

Over the past while, I have been reading a lot. It seems to become a part of me. Anyways I got ahold of a book called 'Airborn'. It is a super easy read, but it is amazing. It is about a fourteen year old boy, and his journey working on an Airship (Zeppelin) Passenger Ship called the Aurora. Anyways, it is full of adventure, and leads into a romance between him and a girl he meets. After reading 'Airborn' I read the second book, 'Skybreaker'. I have got to say, it impressed me a lot. Great, great storyline, and the climax and falling action is amazing. More depth in who the characters are, and the romance between the two main characters pop up more. Great expressions and feelings in the book as well. Finally the third book arrived, and it was rated #4 in the top books in Canada. Ofcourse the top three were the Twilight Series. Anyways, This book, called 'Starclimber', has an excellent storyline to it, and my god, I almost cried when I finished it, for I wish there was more. I HIGHLY suggest reading these three easy reads, especially if you enjoyed Twilight, or any other fictional adventure stories. 10/10.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That's really cool to see, since Ken didn't have the same marketing that Twilight has had. That shows real quality. I prefer his bat books, but kids are having lots of fun with these ones. I got a chance to meet him a few years ago after he won the Governor General's award. He's a pretty down to earth guy.

3. Spearnymph

Spearnymph New Member

You got to meet him, Rei? That's amazing.

I've read his bat books and LOVE the Matt Cruse series. They are immensely hard to put down the first time reading them, and even the second time round. Certainly very beautiful and engaging adventure books. I have yet to read Starclimber, but I'm very tempted to now!

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

That's great. I loved both Airborn and Skybreaker. I didn't realize he was coming out with another one. The airship books even trump Silverwing in my opinion, and I really like Silverwing.