1. Skyes

Skyes Member

Daily Goals?

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Skyes, Feb 14, 2015.

Hello everyone. I was doing some researches, and found out that some writers set daily goals for their works, like writing 2 or 3 pages per day at least, or a chapter, etc. What do you think about this?
    Do any of you adopt this method?
    Thanks in advance.

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I have a yearly goal, and I keep track of it daily, and I know how many words a day I have to write to reach this goal. (It's not complicated math, or anything - the goal is 365K, so, obviously, 1K per day).

I think keeping track daily helps me stay disciplined, but without the sense of failure that would come from having a daily goal and then, like, having a super-long day at work and just not having time to write that day. It's fine if I miss a day, or even a week, because I can make it up later in the year. But the tracking keeps me from waiting until, like, mid-December and then trying to write 30K a day!

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I usually set goals of like, 1000 or 2000 words a day to get a first draft done pretty fast. But right now I've decided to give this current ms this year to be done, which means a goal of 1 page a day :D So far it works really well. Ok, I've started over two times, lol, but I still have 319 days to go = a full novel by the end of this year. :)
    I'd say set a realistic goal but don't stop if some days you feel you could write more than that.

DeadChannel likes this.
  4. Siena

Siena Active Member

Yes. Just an hour a day helps make significant progress.

I'll tend to work on a scene or a sequence and an hour flies by.

5. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

I previously did word count per day, but now I'm doing pages per day. Everyone has their own quirks. Gillian Flynn, writer of Gone Girl, wrote with scenes per day. Brandon Sanderson, writer of Mistborn series, wrote with pages per day. James Joyce was content writing one sentence per day. That could be his minimum per day. Who knows...

Just have something to get you writing everyday. If you miss one day, make it up the next day, partially or fully. For me if I missed a day, I add another page on my daily goal.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I probably need to set daily goals. But I've never been very good at that sort of thing. I get ambitious and make plans. Then I don't follow through. I would like to have a loose goal of just writing something even if it's just a sentence. Right now I'm struggling to finish Not Pink ( I don't know whats taking so long - probably winter. This has been the coldest winter in years. ) and working on an old novel.

7. Crawl

Crawl Member

Nowadays, I don't have enough time for "writing for myself", as writing is my only source of income. I have task for writing at least 7-8 pages a day, so that's my daily goal :)