1. Passero

Passero Member

Daily writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Passero, Feb 10, 2014.

I really want to get into the habit of writing each day. I've been reading a few tips with exercises but so far I haven't found many that I like.

The only one so far is a website that provides dialogue starters, beginning of sentences, and so on. I use this to start and write about random things.

I also did some freewriting but as you might have read in my previous thread, I don't see much use in that either.

So... I was wondering, is it a good idea to just work on ideas I have?
    I have quite a few ideas in my mind that I would love to work on.
    As a beginner, I know that probably most of that work will not be up to standards but I don't mind. To me, it's more about making my brain think that I'm a writer. Maybe later, when I reread my work, I find some hidden gems...

In short... Is working on short stories a good practice, if you do it on a daily base? Or should I consider exercises?

2. Earthshine

Earthshine Member

I think both are excellent for developing your writing skills. Pretty much any form of writing, whatever it may be, will ultimately help you improve.

Personally I prefer working on short stories over writing exercises, because they force me to not only write, but to consider things like plot and characterization. I often find that with writing exercises the focus is purely on writing well, but not necessarily developing plot and characters. Which can be good, but ultimately I personally prefer working on short stories.

Of course for all I know, you consider plot and characterisation when doing a writing exercise. Still, I hope I was at least a little bit helpful. And whatever you do, I'm sure it will help.

3. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I try as hard as possible to work on my current project (whatever it is at the time) every day until it's done. It keeps the momentum going, and I find it easier to write if I'm consistently writing. Once I stop it becomes harder to start again, especially if I go a few days. It's good to make it a habit.

I've never really tried freewriting or using prompts, as I always have a novel or short story/vignette/idea farm to work on. But I would imagine setting aside time to write every day, regardless of the subject matter, helps in forming the habit and keeping up momentum.

Then again, everyone's different. Different strokes and all that.

4. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Contributing Member

Write your stories, whatever ideas you have at present. If you do exercises at all, do them as a means to solving a specific problem. For instance, if you can't get a particular piece of dialogue to gel, and if you have an exercise on dialogue, try that as a means of solving that particular story problem.

You say you're a beginner, so if you don't have a firm grasp of the basics of story structure, you might do some reading to firm that up. A book like Immediate Fiction could be of use.

TDFuhringer likes this.
  5. Siena

Siena Active Member

I reckon you should just get to work on those ideas. A little bit everyday.

6. Passero

Passero Member

Thanks all.

There's actually one exercise I also love doing. I love browsing art on deviantART and use that as inspiration for a story or just a short paragraph describing what I see.
    Because I'm more into SF and fantasy, I can get a lot of inspiration from deviantART.

I think I will use that exercise and for the rest start working on my stories on a daily base.