1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.

Focus + shifting = shifting focus?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Hwaigon, Jan 1, 2015.

That's right!
    I've just discovered that it's a big deal if one starts his story off with a flashback of past events or whether
    he describes those events in a choronological order or retrospectively. It does matter if you torrent the reader with
    unnecessary descriptions or throw him headfirst into the action, just like a battlefield skirmish, decorating bits of details here and there.

Unlike in real life where things exist and their purpose may never be discovered, in a story everything that is there
    has to have a purpose, a meaning. It's like symbolic objects in a painting -- nothing that you see in a painting is there on a whimsical basis.

I'm just in the middle of learning of how to use this focus shifting to my advantage to make the most out of my story.

obsidian_cicatrix and peachalulu like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

A little too much Universe contemplating this New Year's morning? ;)

peachalulu likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I discovered this too, not too long ago. It really helped me and it makes sense. I think the trouble with writer's is they can think in movie terms. I remember getting Entertainment weekly and loved when they'd pick apart a t.v. set. All those things a viewer takes for granted are swept over in seconds. A writer really doesn't have the option of cramming in everything so they have to pick the most important. And by not wasting words - linking to the words to something of deeper meaning helps tie everything together. Like Archie Bunker with his crummy chair positioned right in front of the t.v.

Wreybies likes this.
  4. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    That's right :D

@peachalulu

Exactly, picking the most important; It all boils down to the matter of importance and priority when writing. Mention this fact or not?
    What will the reader get if I do? Does the strory need to foreshadow?
    I'm asking these questions throughout the story, I label a name or a character and ask myself (as if critiquing someone else) many whys.
    I feel I'm on the good track with this approach but inevitably I've discovered there are lot of potential questions and it's a donkey work to answer them, eventhough the reader may never know an answer to them. I need to know the answers. Presently, I've reached a coul de sac in my story, 'cos there are queastions that the MC will pose to another character and I don't know the exact answers to them. I have to think them over now.

peachalulu likes this.