1. HiImDelta

HiImDelta New Member

Dancing

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by HiImDelta, Sep 2, 2015.

Hey. So first off I wanna say this is my first post, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me so I can try to fix it.

Right. So I'm having a bit of an issue with a short story I'm writing. The story centers around dancing, with three separate scenes depicting it. Now I like to be descriptive. I've always felt my biggest strength in writing was good imagery. But the thing with dancing is that it's very complicated. So many different different steps, movements, even emotions.

So I guess my question is this: How can I vividly describe my two characters dancing without using a whole paragraph just describing five seconds worth of dancing.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That depends entirely on what the story is. :) You said it centres around dancing but unless it's a non-fiction guide to dancing, it doesn't need to describe the steps in any detail at all. For example, if it's a love story, describe the feeling of his hands on her waist, the way his heart skips a beat when she presses her cheek against his...

3. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Have you ever seen White Christmas? When I'm writing about two characters dancing and I feel stuck, I watch this for inspiration:

4. wellthatsnice

wellthatsnice Active Member

hey, your characters can dance if they want to. they can leave their friends behind. Cause their friends dont dance and since they dont dance well their no friends of mine.

As for the serious question and answer portion, dont get lost in the technical. "she twirled like the petal of flower caught in a breeze" not "she executed a perfect pirouette, followed by a Pas de Bourree"

No-Name Slob likes this.