1. sadia

sadia New Member

Plot Creation

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sadia, Dec 22, 2009.

Hi,
    I am always having difficulties with creating a good plot. I have many ideas on how to start the story but i am always struggling on creating the body of the story. How do i overcome this ?:redface:

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

starts are worth nothing and so of course will go nowhere, if you haven't some idea of what story you want to tell... the thing is, you should have some idea of what the story will be before you start writing...

so, to solve your problem, why not make a rule for yourself that you won't start writing a story from now on, till you have some sort of story in mind?...

love and hugs, maia

4. sadia

sadia New Member

i have started writing some stories but they are just few pages long, i do not how to continue them. i am just stuck.:D

5. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

Just write. Don't think about what's coming out on the page...you can always go back and fix it. But if you want to write, then there has to be a story in there somewhere. Write until it comes out.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's most likely because you never had a 'story' idea in your head before you started writing, so you weren't really 'writing some stories' at all...

to overcome this problem, dump all those false starts [you can save them for later, if you want] and before you write a single new word, force yourself to come up with what we call a 'logline' in screenwriting...

write down what your story is going to be about, in 25 words or less... if you can't do that, then you don't have an idea for a story and won't be able to write one...

7. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I usually find that I can get the story idea, and my story writes itself. For the most part. However, a good plotline is usually a very good way to go. In my English 101 class, we always had to do an outline for every essay, something I hated, because I usually launch straight into something. However, it helps to refer back to it when you're stuck.

8. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

I think you need an outline. Now some people work well without it, but if you're unable to figure out where your story is going, the first thing is to "take out the map". And if you don't have one, you won't know where you're going. So sit down and iron out the broad details of your story. The who, what, where, when and hows of it. Then go back into your story. With a background on what you're writing it should snowball from there.