Tags:
  1. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Poetry.com

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Max Vantage, May 25, 2007.

Poetry.com is apparently quite a well known site. Has anybody submitted their work to this site? If so, have you been notified that you're a finalist winner?

This seems to happen to me a lot with this organisation after I submit an entry, and aparently I've won top prize. But - always a but - I get the feeling that it's a swizz to get me to buy something. Kinda like all that junk mail you get saying that you've won some obscure lottery but you can only claim by giving a cash payment/tribute. In this case it's a book that they're touting with all your work along with other contestants.

Am I being cynical? Watchya fink?

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Stay away from them, from what I have heard it is exactly like those lotteries...
    A friend of mine had a piece published with them and sent away to them to get a book which she had to pay for and now she is out of pocket, they have taken her work and she has not received this so called book that she paid for.

I know that after what she told me I won't be going anywhere near that site with any of my work, but at the end of the day it is your own decision as to wether or not you wish to submit your work there.

Basically it is a vanity publishing site.

~Torana

3. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

I thought as much.

It seems rather strange that there are so many people who seem to enter though. Is your friend a one-off case, or is it typical?

4. Torana

I can't be certain really.
    But I am a member of another forum and last year there was a major discussion over vanity publishers and all that kind of stuff and at least 10 members there mentioned poetry.com and how they had themselves or friends of theirs been ripped off by them.
    If this is not the case well I do apologise for running the site down, but it is just observations from another forum and from a friends experience.

5. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Cheers. I've just logged in and re-edited my entry to a bunch of insane rambling.

Seems quite the improvement actuallyl! :D

6. Torana

lol that is hilarious, you will have to let me know how you go with it won't you :D lol
    Good on you though, it'd be hilarious if they actually publish it in there so called poetry books lol

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Wouldn't it be something if the insane rambling took an actual top prize!

8. Torana

Now that would be aboslutely hilarious.....you should post the submission up here in the forum Max Vantage...lol

9. sashas

sashas New Member

Ok I'll tell you something...
    These guys are a big scam.
    I read an article somewhere, on a respected website (maybe it was USA Today or something) how poetry.com is just cajoling you into buying their book.
    The reporter in the article submitted two poems: one by a well known, award winning poet, and the other by a 2nd grader.

BOTH got selected, and BOTH got mails that their poetry had won top prize or some ****.

My own crappy poetry (I write TERRIBLE poetry) was supposedly won Editor's Choice award, along with an invitation to some poetry event (for $600, excluding airfare and hotel) and an offer to sell me their poetry book (featuring my poetry) at a discount price.

Real poetry publishing sites wont ask you to pay for your poem that's been published in their magazine..they'll give it to you for free.

Stay away from it...seriously

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

fyi, it's worse than a 'vanity-publishing' site... it's a total SCAM, folks!

always check these things out on preditors & editors before falling for their cons...

scroll down here for p/e's very lengthy expose of these creeps:

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pebp.htm

mods: this info/link really needs to go up as a sticky, since so many newbies ask about it... would save a lot of repetition for those of us who know a scam when we see one...

11. Raven

Raven Banned

I'll have a look first.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

fine for what?