1. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

Dark Spiral Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Mr DC, Apr 21, 2016.

Okay, I can do this. Just post my plans on a forum and cry months later when I see I met only the first goal.

In order to increase my productivity I started a ridiculous number of projects which is a bad idea. Now I want to actually earn that "writer" badge I keep referencing to but never showing to anyone; Finally finish something good and no, that first story I wrote doesn't count.

How do the rest of you do this, I feel insane speaking to myself...

So, here's what's going on.
    Title: (Awfully named) Dark Spiral
    Setting: Post apocalyptic Earth sharing combustive properties of a powder keg and about the same amount of nutrients.
    Word count: Eeeehh...

This is starting at an awful place in the week so I'm gonna throw a dart and say... 2.000 words by Sunday.
    Better start this thing... Continue starting it?

zoupskim and ToDandy like this.
  2. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

I think everyone has sort of found their own method for writing journals. Mine has been as follows.

Title of Project:
    Synopsis (Elevator Pitch: 1-2 sentences)
    Genre and Target Audience:
    Projected Word Count:
    Goals:

Sometimes I meet my goals, sometimes I don't. I really missed my mark on my last project.

Good luck. A little momentum is lots of times all you need.

3. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

That's a simple way of doing. Better than my rambling up there, in any case.

Just realized I have three exams next week so I'll either procrastinate by writing and not study or procrastinate by studying and not write.
    In all seriousness, it shouldn't be that difficult to spit out seven hundred words a day. Even if they are a bit forced.
    No matter, I'll probably be just a couple hundred short of the goal.

4. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

700 is a great goal. Even if you are just writing by hand. Very manageable and easy enough to do in an hours time. I think most people can spare an hour out of their day.

5. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

Yeah, it's difficult to put those things in perspective. Today I managed to put out a thousand words within the hour. Worked with no inspiration and it ended up looking pretty good.
    Will probably chalk up higher goals for myself in the future.

ToDandy and Lilith Addington like this.
  6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

I look forward to reading your work and buying your book ;) Good luck

7. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

Thank you :)
    Though, I doubt I'll actually put it up as anything other than free since it's the first one.

I made six hundred words today which just leaves four hundred for tomorrow and I reached my goal. Quite satisfied with this. I wrote more in these three days than I do in the usual week. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Lilith Addington likes this.
  8. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

That's 2.000 words in three days. Not too difficult even though what I just pulled in the plot feels like a forced tension event. I'll put some polish on it later so it's not as rough.
    Thinking about 5.000 words in the next week. Should not be difficult if I am to judge it on the last three days.
    I'll see... If I decide to focus on my main project as well and not just this one, five thousand might be pushing it.

ToDandy and Lilith Addington like this.
  9. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

If you need a beta reader shoot me a PM. Or 'conversation' as this forum would have it.

10. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

Nice, thanks for the offer :) (I thought I already replied...)

I'm just gonna look away while I push this project aside. Not forever just for an... undetermined amount of time.
    Ahh, I know, I know, I'm not finishing yet another project. Feels awful since this one was up here. Just here. Grrr...
    This might be an excuse but I'm doing it for a good reason. This... (Said I while pushing a puppy forward). I'm also making a game. Games. I'm also making excuses.
    I got overly ambitious about an okay idea which will now float in limbo while this thread serves as an awful, awful reminder of my failure...