1. TheNumber2

TheNumber2 New Member

A New World

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TheNumber2, Feb 14, 2011.

Hey guys,

I am looking for a good book out there that is fantasy where the author creates an entire new world...other than the Lord of the Rings. Help? Thanks!

2. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, followed by 3 sequels. There's other stuff, but if you want to start with the best, this is it.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My favourite is the Enchanted Woods by Enid Blyton - ok not as detailed as Tolkein but its a good example of world building.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern is enjoyable, I love Discworld (Terry Pratchett)

As well as Narnia CS Lewis did the Mars Trilogy and Great Divorce.

Waterbabies. Even Bedknobs and Broomsticks did it quite well.

4. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

There's a load of Sci-Fi ones you could look at which are slightly fantasy in a way, of the top of my head "Songs of Distant Earth" and "The City and the Stars" are good reads.

Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" series has a rather imaginative world.

5. Terri

Terri New Member

Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" & Rober Jordan's "Wheel of Time" are my two favorite series on the planet. Eldon Thompson & Tad Williams do great w/ their worlds as well.

6. -oz

-oz Active Member

The best example I have is The Complete Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen, in which he brings an amazing new world to life.

Another fantastic story (which is fantasy despite having a primarily sci-fi author) is Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein. The adventures and worlds "Oscar" goes through are an epic stretch of the imagination.

One of my newer favorites is The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin. This has some great character development, which leads into some interesting ideas for the world.

Someone already mentioned the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Louis, which creates its own imaginative world throughout the seven books.

Any of these will do you well, and would be good books to read anyway, just because, well, they're good books! Hope this helped a little bit...

7. Merlin

Merlin Member

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman is a nice read, and this is about the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned right now that I've read.

Unless of course you're into Black Library (Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy) and Star Wars, in which case I can help you a lot with that.

Merlin Out

8. Elgaisma

Its historical rather than fantasy but I am also going to suggest Cadfael by Ellis Peters. She walks a rather elegant line between creating a believable medieval setting but at the same time keeping it relatable to someone reading it in the later 1900s early 2000s.

I have found with my worldbuilding a good religions of the world book, a basic history and legends text book are also useful.

9. zilly

zilly New Member

Um, how have the Chronicles of Narnia not been mentioned?

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Because it was? Twice actually. ;)

The Forgotten Realms series could fit this. Basicly its a series of books by a variety of different authors each with different characters but all are based in and around the Dungeons and Dragon's Forgotten Realms campaign.

Not sure how many books are in the entire thing but I am sure you could find something to enjoy.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Piers Anthony's The Apprentice Adept series (starting with Split Infinity) is both science fiction and fantasy, and the parallel worlds of Phaze and Proton are congruent creations. Magic works in Phaze, and science works in Proton.

Another creation of Piers Anthony is his Xanth series, starting with A Spell for Chameleon. It is also a punster's delight. Xanth is the name of the world.

12. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

Terry Pratchett - disc-shaped world, on the back of four elephants, on the back of a giant turtle that swims through space. Awesome series. Don't be fooled by the first two that are essentially fantasy-paradoies - it keeps getting better from there on!

Piers Anthony Xanth series - make sure you read the older titles, and not the newer ones. Xanth has deteriorated into an old man's panty fantasy. Seriously.

13. Elgaisma

I am going to recommend looking at children's picture books they create worlds in such a short space - Julia Donaldson is exceptional and Winnie the Witch by Korky Paul and Valerie Thomas.

I also forgot to mention Lian Hearne - Tales of the Otori they are wonderful it is set in a Japanlike world.

14. NathanaelWorks

NathanaelWorks New Member

Oh, you'd love the book I'm writing. It's not just a new world, it also will incorporate alternate history (Cold War -> the Great war), another universe, the story of other planets, a religion, cryptic symbols .etc

And trust me, it's realistic, dramatic, and very relative to life. Even though some parts are in the future, there's no "Star Wars/Star Trek" like junk; nothing terribly Sci-Fi either.

15. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

Christopher Paolini's Inheritence series
    Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and whatever he calls the new one coming out hasn't told us yet.
    Its set in a brilliant world with a bit of a cheesy name(alagaeisa) but it brilliant, supreme and most of all great.
    IM A FAN:):):):)

16. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

THERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE HAVE YOU READ THEM ALL
    Heavens net is wide, Across the nightingale floor, grass for his pillow, brilliance of the moon and the harsh cry of the heron

17. Elgaisma

Yes - I have reread them recently because the way she describes her world helped me out in building mine visually she also has a teen character from a first person POV (my first book is from a first person POV of a teen boy).