1. Darkkin

Darkkin Reflection of a nobody Contributor

Darkkin: A Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Darkkin, Aug 1, 2014.

These progress journals happened to catch my eye, while, yes, I was procrastinating, and it seems like something I should start. My writing has been on the hiatus the last few months, but as a dedicated writer, I should know better than let my story threads slide. Tangles form and plot lines skew. Details, once jewel bright, begin to tarnish and dim. A world I sought, fought to build is fading before my eyes because I lost my focus and determination.

A heart valve replacement and a major, subsequent aortic clot put a damper on a lot of things, but my writing, which has long been my escape, shouldn't be among them. It has been weeks since I've pulled up my manuscripts. My fingers are aching to release the compressed backlog of ideas in my head. With any sort of luck this will tire my brain out enough that I might actually be able to sleep.

A plain and simple fact I learned long ago: If I don't write at least every other day, I end up with nightmares. Putting the darkness into finite, tangible form gives me control over my dreams and ideas. And it is long past time for me to regain my control.

The Traveller stands upon a crux, the battle lines are drawn and the factions in place. The end is within sight and so I lay down these words in black and white: Bella's tale will be completed before the first snow touches the ground. This is a promise to myself, a promise I desperately need to keep.

Basically, it boils down to: I need to get my rump in gear. I have known these characters for ages. I owe it to them to make sure their story is told, and told well.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Okon, Catrin Lewis and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. Darkkin

Chapter Thirty-eight: The cathedral, the fresco, and the secrets they conceal...

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I read a couple of your poems. They were good.

mom42terrificgirls likes this.
  4. Darkkin

Well, my trusty old Dell just gave up the ghost, but luckily I have back ups, and backs of my back ups. Thank goodness for tablets, so I'm not up a creek without a paddle. More than 2,000 words today as Bella went completely off script...(Errr...:rant:.). Now she is standing amidst ruins and is in possession of a disturbing new ability. There is a dark side here that she has never shown before. The village was supposed to remain untouched, but that didn't happen...Things are starting to get hectic, but interesting. I really did miss this.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. Darkkin

Only a little more than a 1,000 words tonight, but oh my, what words they were. Bella stood upon the brink of ruin, no way out, no way to explain, at least in a way that would make sense to this terrified group of townsfolk. (Who, incidentally, were involved in a bout of witch burning earlier in the day. Old Eli the Storyteller, unfortunately did not get a happy ending. Insert Bob and Tom lyrics: Toast! Yeah, Toast...)

They say that the stories of our lives can be told by the bones, well that is what happened this evening. Bella revealed the truth, she let the bones tell their tale: The Bones of Lady Anne.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  6. Darkkin

There are days when the intricate threads of a story suddenly come together and you find the path through the tangle of the last hundred pages into a brilliant flash of inspiration. Events laid down in previous chapters have come full circle, the ramifications of their impact absolutely stunning. The physics of a pocket dimension, a severe earthquake at the ocean's edge and its inevitable consequences have colluded. The situation is desperate, the stakes higher than ever before. The ending was supposed to have been one way, but something shifted. A muse screamed...

Bella was tracing the wrong path. It wasn't inside, but out. Two travel with her, but moments ago they divided. The bones recovered, it is a race against time and an cataclysm. The glamours and shields are frail, stressed to the point of shattering. If the bones of the disinterred are not returned in time it is more than just Talonstone Glen that will be lost.

15,000 words and five chapters in less than three days, considering I've worked more than 26 hours over the course of that time, I haven't done half bad. A bluetooth link up on my tablet makes toting my writing much easier. Every break, I have added to my progress. Fifteen minutes here, thirty minutes there. It has added up. Four chapters remain. The clock is ticking down and two new pairs of wings are about to be put to the test.

Shatter the world...
    Break the sky...
    Dragons to wing...
    Demons rising...
    Now is the time...
    The battle foretold...
    Of its coming, an old bard did sing...
    Shatter the world...
    Break the sky...
    Dragons to wing...Demons nigh...

- Old Eli, The Chronicler

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Darkkin

Eyeing my red pen on the table across from me...Temptation beckons. No! Leave the damn pen alone. Get the thing written, completed in its entirety before the shredding begins. Four chapters. Just four... High ho fingers, away...Yes, I am listening to the Lone Ranger score by Hans Zimmer. :p

8. Darkkin

Two more chapters down and a character, who came striding out of left field. Things just got very interesting...(Insert maniacal laughter...)

9. Darkkin

The ancients have answered a desperate plea. The earth shivers and heaves as battle engulfs the headland. Wings find hold in the murky air as lungs burn, blackened by smoke. Fires rage, dragon song fills the world as the Misting seizes the hearts and minds of the youngsters. Fear, too taxed and dear, is beyond any means of payment, save that of blood.

Henri is in a frantic race to reach the battle site, as Bella delves into the heart of the mines away from the light and her power. Entombed in stone, their path back, blocked. The only way forward is through the darkness into the bowels of the Horde's lair. It is the course to the Bloodlock, a brutal device forged with malice and dire need. A device that will extinguish any intruder's bloodline through madness and violence. The Locks know the families, the few who remain, but the families don't know who is bound to which lock. The Darkkin are facing extinction, these fierce and flailing youngsters are a final, savage fight against that goodnight.

27,000 words and three more chapters cast. Right now the frenzy in my head holds sway. Editing can wait I just need to get these words out, keep my course tight and my target in sight. Threads converge from all sides and soon the weaves will meet, melding into a whole.

10. Darkkin

Major update in a secondary project, I've been working on. Fleetfoot: Lore of the Aerial Dancer. Two years and 42,000 words later, I'm nearly done. This tumbling, bumbling bit of ridiculousness, very near and dear to my heart, is at last coming to a close. I should have it finished by midweek. Never thought I would be able to complete it...

Right now, however, I'm calling it a night. My brain is toast.

11. Darkkin

Two major projects are nearing completion. With some serious dedication I should be able to get the Traveller done before the snow flies. Another chapter laid down over the course of the weekend, battles sequences are now in motion, and my techno on repeat on my iPod.

I have hit the ground running, even after a 13 hour work day. The progress I've made with Fleetfoot is the only thing that kept me sane. I made it to a goal I didn't think I would ever reach. Tokoli was toppled tonight. That was a writer's high if ever there was one.

Odd side note on Fleetfoot: I was reading through the thread about the troll suicide. Fleetfoot started as a simple satire to combat a troll in another forum. The troll quiet literally became the troll. I found inspiration in one of the bleakest places I had ever been. By channelling my frustration and anger into my bailiwick I fought back without feeding the trolls.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    mom42terrificgirls likes this.
  12. Darkkin

Sometimes there are projects you just need to do to the neglect and detriment of all else. Well, that is what I've been working on today. I just completed a total rewrite of one of my favorite pieces. Jack and Aster: A Tale of Autumntide. The one piece of critique every reader said was that it was ragged. That is no longer the case. The piece is now trimmed and blooming even as the season fades. My mind now at peace, I can pick up the threads of The Traveller once more.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  13. Darkkin

2,000 word and running hard. This was the cornerstone I needed to break free of the tangled mire. The lines are spiraling out, the patterns set. Questions have been resolved and courage, in an unexpected place, found.

14. Darkkin

So, with a grand total of 5,367 words over the course of the day, while also pulling a 10 hour shift at work, I would say I've done all right. :rofl:

minstrel likes this.
  15. Darkkin

'Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." - Dory, Finding Nemo

5,000 words and two chapters remain.

16. Darkkin

Spliced Chapter Thirty-Eight and Thirty-Nine. On to Chapter Forty and the curve ball that knocked me flat...All good things, all good things. :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  17. Darkkin

Totally of topic from my current piece, but I have to say: Holy Shit! I just finished it. Fleetfoot: A Lore is done. Two years of work. Done. Still kind of in a daze about it, but this is the piece that has gotten me through more rough patches than I care to think about and it has finally seen me safely home. :rofl:

Okon likes this.
  18. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

Congratulations :)

19. Darkkin

I'm returning to the worlds of The Strangeways to Nowhere. Turning back the clock on neglected Violet Bright, the Harbinger, Alder the Elder, along with Marianna of Fathoms Deep. This is the piece that pulls everything together. Where the Brook and the River Meet: The First Journey of Violet Bright.

20. Darkkin

Okay, I think I have gone utterly insane. I submitted five poems for publication, four from my Toxic White collection. Pretty sure I will crash and burn, but there is still that hint of the impossible dream.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    GingerCoffee likes this.