Day jobs -- Do you write for a living?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ehdom, May 23, 2008.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good for you!... it's nice to occasionally run across someone who actually can make a living from their writing... you're a good role model to have around here... i'm sure there are members who can benefit from your advice on how to 'get there'...

2. Palooza

Palooza New Member

Student. I would love to be able to write for a living, but who knows. I am currently in college as an English major/Film Studies minor. I'd love to go to film school after college, but just like living off of my writing, it is a far away goal. My plans as of right now are to finish college, become a teacher and do as much writing as possible with my free time until I can, if ever, live off of writing.

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Mammamaia,

Sadly, many writers, older and younger than myself, consider me a 'sellout', because I research thoroughly and write what sells. Fiction alone would not support me right now. Maybe after one of the general fiction novels sell, but I accept that fiction may never be my sole means of support.

When I began writing romance novels, it was because their sales were the fastest growing numbers in book sales. It was not from any great desire to write or become known for writing the bodice rippers.

I did everything I do, because I am fundamentally unsuited for what is whimsically known as a "real job". (Yes, I do still get asked when I'm going to get one -- I suppose the 60 hours a week I put in isn't quite enough.)

Rosalinda

4. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I'm working on it. Right now I would say writing pays for about 25-40% of my income. Depending on how things shake out, I'm hoping I can become a full-time writer in another year or so. If things keep going the way they are, then that should be possible. Of course, it is a similar kind of income to RomanticRose - an apartment, one car, minimal expenses.

5. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

I wish! No, I'm a stage assistant and occasionally facilitate drama/performance workshops. My frugal lifestyle prevents me from starving, and allows me to spend my real time writing. I'm more than happy with that though I'll not knock back a publishing deal.:)

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I dreamt of becoming a writer for a living as a child, I was not even in school at this stage of life either. I saw a man that was a writer for a living in a movie and I wanted to be like him. Never really gave up on that dream and never will. But I also know it will never happen and I will NEVER give up on that childhood dream either.

To date I have had one poem "paid" published and I am writing a commission piece as well. I couldn't give up my day job though, for my day job is being a full-time mother as I have a ill child and I know that a job atm would not be good as I wouldn't be able to take as much time off work as I would need to when she gets sick like she does.

I thought about writing for a newspaper, but even then, it would be hard to leave my daughter.

So yeah, I don't write for a living, but it is the most enjoyable past time I have ever come across! :) Even if things were different and I was writing poetry and living off of it <which I doubt I ever could>, I'd still keep the job I was in <if I had one> as it would be fulfilling to me.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My work involves a fair amount of nonfiction writing. I write specifications for software to be developed, proposals for tools and procedures, and often write the initial cut of user documentation. Tech Writing takes it from there, but I have generally worked pretty closely with them on both technical and clarity aspects.

But writing in human languages is not my primary job function. As for writing fiction, I leave that to the Sales and Marketing groups.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No, I definitely do not write for a living. Strangely enough, I would not want that. Writing as a livelihood would impose all the things associated with a job on, what is for me, an escape from the confines of this reality.

I actually have the job that I always wanted. I work as an interpreter. If you know me from this website, then you already know this because I find a way to mention it all the time. I think I do this because I really dig my job. I love it. When I say that I am an interpreter, I’m talking about a definition of self, not just a definition of what I do.

I am an interpreter, the same way that I am Puerto Rican.

I know that that sounds corny as all-get-out, but it is the truth.

I think this makes me a lucky person indeed.

9. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

This made me laugh out loud :D

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Many years ago, I was fishing a lot of bass tournaments. I considered going full time as a bass pro...its sounded like the perfect "job". Then, the editor in the bass fishing magazine for which I wrote asked me a provocative question, "Dean, if you become a full time bass pro, what will you do to relax?"

Convinced me to stay with the "day" job.

11. HookshotManiac

HookshotManiac New Member

I'm only 16 (17 in September) and an upandcoming senior in high school, so I don't have a job yet (I could work, but the junk that's available here to do is your average 'either work at a fast food joint or some other place,' which is what I want to avoid). I've been writing for the basketball magazine, SLAM Magazine, since December, and I've been paid for every article so far, but once the NBA season ends, there's not going to be much to contribute.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I wish....
    I'm a college studant, and unemployed as of last month.

13. Frost

Frost Active Member

Im a student. Yay.

But I wouldnt want to write for a living any way. I dont write much anymore full stop. Even though I love it.

14. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

I would do anything to write for a living.
    I have an instintual want to tell the world what it hink and feel. To an extent i want to be a teacher for that reason- t mould the minds of other young thinkers for a living. What a powerful job it is.

but if i could write for a living and teach as a hobby god i would :D

15. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

No, I don’t write for a living, but I would definitely want to. I’m a marketing secretary working at a sport’s federation. The good thing is that I have a lot of opportunities to write here as well. We have our own newspaper, and I just started writing columns for it. Our editor-in-chief told me that he will accept articles from me any time; he really liked my work. Considering that he’s been on the market for over 30 years, I felt kind of good.

I want to do two things for a living: teach and write. I’m studying Education at the moment, working full time and planning on having a baby (or start trying :-D) at some point next year. But it doesn’t stop me from dreaming. My goal now is to write one page every day. It will take me two to three years to finish my novel. It’s okay. I’m patient.