Day off for elections?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

My husband works 70+ hours/week and is only home 6 days/month. We are, believe me, on the 'margins of the economy' with our household finances. And he voted yesterday, we both did.

Our polling place is a half-mile away. If we could not have driven there for lack of gas or something we would have walked there.

Please, many Americans seem to lack the proper initiative to get to the polls...but not the means to get there.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The repeal of the Income Tax in the Commonwealth of Masssachusetts was voted down by approximately a 2:1 margin, as I expected.

The other two referendum questions in Massachusetts:
    Decriminalize the possession of under an ounce of marijuana - those caught would have the drug confiscated and be imposed a $100/fine - PASSED
    Eliminate dog racing in the Commonwealth over the next 14 months - PASSED

I feel that both of these were good decisions.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Not surprised, though I though they were talking about federal income tax XD. Good thing I live no where near massachusetts, I'd be the mockery of the state.

I'm confused... so it's not a crime, but you still get fined :confused:. Doesn't that make it a crime on some very low level?

What's wrong with dog racing :eek:. I could have gotten the trifecta :(.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Decriminalizing marijuana leaves it still illegal, but those caught with small quantities dio not end up with a criminal record, which would make it harder for the person to seek employment, housing, and student loans, takes up expensive court resiurces for criminal trials, and keeps the arresting officer busy for a longer poeriod of time when he could be handling more urgent matters.

Dog racing in Massachusetts is responsible for abuse and deaths of many greyhounds every year. They live under terrible conditions, and often have to be destroyed after relatively short racing "careers."