Day-to-day running of a cafe

Discussion in 'Research' started by Sunny1000, Jun 8, 2015.

1. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Ha! Thank you. I did get an early start. Ever the eager beaver ... I also just look younger than I am.

A blessing with age, but a curse when trying to be taken seriously.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Know what you mean. There was once when someone thought I was 12, but I was actually something like 21 :twisted:

Although now with the pregnant bump, people have started guessing that I must be at least 35 :bigeek: Seriously, WTF!? Not impressed!

So now you probably have a good idea of how old I am hehe :ninja:

No-Name Slob likes this.
  3. Sunny1000

Sunny1000 Member

Woah! Thanks guys! This was all exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps with powers combined you should all open a writers cafe XD

How often would money need to be dropped off to the bank? Once a week? Also what kind of food was acceptable for pre-prep to leave in the cafe? I'm assuming it's just "normal" common sense food like you could prep...bread? ...uhhh

What does opening the till involve? Everything now is electronic so is it just a matter of "booting up the card machine"? Do people leave that baseline money in the till overnight or are managers super paranoid and clear the till every night?

Is it common for a small cafe to grind their own beans? Is that equitable in the running of a cafe or are pre-ground beans kept in cold more common?

Thanks all for all the help, I'll never have to look at another "open your own cafe" website again :love:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Money gets banked every day.

5. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

In the cafes here in Aus, they grind the beans just before they make the coffee.

6. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

Deposits are made every day in most businesses of all kinds which deal with cash.

In our restaurant, and most others I'm familiar with, the prep area included a 'cold table' which contained covered refrigerated compartments for the various sandwich and pizza ingredients. Those were left with their contents overnight. Most places also have a cooler, usually walk-in, for food backstock.

7. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

The $200 stays in the till at all times, so opening the register consisted of booting it up, clocking in (we used a pin number so that you'd be on the clock for your hours, and so the system knew who was running the register) and re-counting. Once you open the system, it prompts you to enter the amount of bills you have (20 one's, 5 ten's, etc.) and it has to balance to equal $200.