1. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

two pantheons

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by highwaymanlee, Feb 8, 2012.

im writing a story that has two groups of gods each worshiped on a seprate continents its one of the most importaint parts of my plot that they create three bridges connecting the two continents. its set in a medievil type world. the original reaso was the two groups made a bet to see wich people would conquer the other. but after a while i started to think that this idea was to weak to be something this impertant to my plot so i need some ideas on why these two pantheons would creat these bridges any ideas would be appreciated

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So you want someone will come up with the basis for your story. What, then, of your story will truly be yours?

3. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I've written a similar story in a way, and even had similar problems. My solution was to really "flesh out" my pantheons. I had a vague grasp of the tendencies for both factions, but that wasn't enough to work out real motivations. So, I did a character chart, or something similar for each god, labeling which ones were spiteful, which ones were more apathetic. After a while I even had the rituals and customs that the humans did to honor each god individually. After that, it was no problem figuring out why the gods were fighting in the first place, and what tools they had at their disposal ie: bridges. The motivations didn't end up becoming some awe-inspiring, revolutionary ideological concept, but it fit the story so well that it no longer mattered. Even weak reasons can become strong when you strengthen them with evidence from the story.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Look at Earth's pantheons. They don't know that the others exist, really (unless you're watching Supernatural, but that doesn't count).
    Why would two separate pantheons even consider each other? If they only have control over their separate continents, how would they even contact each other? If they do have control over more than just those continents, why are they even still alive?

Cogito is right. Come up with your own plot. Don't rely on others. But probably consider whether your gods are even the types to involve themselves in the affairs of mortals at all.

5. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

I don't see how there can be 'two pantheons' that co-exist, because criciFICTION is right, one would not acknowledge the existence of the other. Most religions teach that all other religions are false, and that their god(s) are the only ones. So the idea of two rival pantheons fighting makes no sense.

What you could have is one pantheon of gods, but members of that pantheon taking different sides. Like the Greek gods at Troy. Some gods were on the Trojan's side (Artemis, Apollo, Ares, Aphrodite) and others on the Greeks (Athena, Hera, Poseidon, Hermes). But they still essentially belonged to one pantheon, i.e. the same theological belief system, therefore believing in them was not not mutually exclusive.

6. sithkittie

sithkittie New Member

I disagree that two (or more) pantheons couldn't coexist. It's very true that they might not acknowledge each other, but acknowledgment doesn't always mean acceptance. Think about the crusades. Those were two different belief systems acknowledging each other by trying to beat the crap out of each other. It doesn't always have to be peaceful. And it doesn't always have to be based on our-world belief systems. You could even have some be real, physically existant (or supernaturally, just otherwise real) deities and some not. It doesn't matter what the truth is if your story is about people; what matters is what they believe is truth. And half the fun of fantasy is not having to stay grounded on earth. I do like Kallithrix's example of Troy though. That's one way to solve the issue.

I also agree with GaleSkies about digging deeper into your pantheons. I think there might have been kinder ways of saying some of the things above, but certainly rewinding a bit and looking back at what your cultures are, why they believe what they do, what is motivating them to act might help you in figuring out why they are acting. You're starting from the end action without knowing why that action is being performed. That's a recipe for incomplete stories and plot holes.

Another idea, I don't know what type of fantasy you're writing in, but maybe straight-up fantasy isn't what this story is. Maybe it's not gods and goddesses having these bridges built. Maybe a steam-punk or sci-fi setting would work better for you.

I hope that helps to get you thinking some.

7. Magicangeleyes

Magicangeleyes New Member

If there is going to be bridges linking two continents there needs to a purpose for them. Could there be something that e/ach of them had that other wanted? Maybe trade was the initial purpose. But what if conflict arose later, either through greed or religious differerences.
    Maybe the bridges were built when there was one religion, which had spread over the two continents. However, there was a split causing the now conflict. What would cause the split? How would it affect each peoples?
    I think the bet idea sounds bit weak. If one truly wanted to conquer the other there needs to be better reason for it.

8. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

i have gotten rid of the bridges ideal and am making it more like when the Americas where first discovered the reasons for the conflict with the two will be because the seven kingdoms what the resources of the other continents i know this setup has been done many times but i think its the only way ill be able to make my story work and be believable

9. sithkittie

sithkittie New Member

I think this setup has been done many times because it's actually happened many times. It still works. Though, you could get away with making it less nefarious by having your characters actually believe in their religion, i.e., doing horrible things for all the right reasons. Just a thought, though admittedly it's really hard to look at those kind of situations and actually buy that the people involved honestly think they're doing God's work or what have you. It still happens though, and I would certainly believe it if I read it.

Good luck!