Daydreaming = Storymaking?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by United, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Out of curiosity, why do you like to read fiction, then? I was under the impression that it was pretty much the ONLY reason someone would read fiction at all.

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Not to speak for our numerical friend, but I'm in it for the exploring of the human condition. Fantasy and escapism have their places, but they're certainly not the only reason to read or write fiction.

3. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Creative writing is the act of mastering a pre-existing complex system (language) and using talents to function within that system.

4. Boger

Boger Senior Member

Nightmares are dreams too. Also inspirational, but with both daydreams and daymares, as with nocturnal dreams the question remains if you wish to confront anyone with this fictional world you've been confronted with. Will it be as cool or nightmarish to anyone else as the experience was to you, and does it matter if the reader knows it came to you in a dream at all....? Partly this is something to consider with daydreams as well.

5. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

Some of my nightmares have been so disturbing that I've considered making them horror stories. As a lot of my nightmares involve people I know/care about I simply change names and other details, including the protagonist from being me to someone else.

Also because my dreams a nightmares "end" before a proper conclusion I have to come up with my own which is a bit of a problem.

6. Boger

Boger Senior Member

I have too surreal nightmares to become stories, I know attempting to paint them into words would simply not capture it, even though I can specifically recall the things. For example I once was having a nightmare, sort of was wandering there looking at the hellish demons and creatures, some partly animal, some out of pure imagination, and the end of my dream was me looking back over my shoulder, as I traveled sitting in a boat, seeing a mass of lava, apparently going back from my trip to hell, crossing the Styx back home. The inspiration that comes from those dreams can be very educational, for example I would not have thought as the styx of an ocean of lava, even forming mountains of lava with giant black Oriental palaces built on the slopes.

The stunning thing about these images and fantasies are not always best kept private, but I think the best ideas come while we are awake, and know what to do with them. That's why writing down dreams and nightmares can be questionable in effect, but challenging to craft an approximation.

I'm sure there is such a thing as 'lucid writing'

Some_Bloke likes this.
  7. Jordan J

Jordan J Member

It's an interesting idea. I never daydream, in fact I don't think I've ever drifted off into another world except when I'm reading or writing...weird. :)

8. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Much easier then it sounds, especially for people who find bliss rolling thoughts through their mind. it's kind of like worrying about something, but in a much more innocent fashion. In fact, I often start daydreaming in the middle of worrying about something.

I think it is fairly useful when you are short on inspiration. I often find inspiration in my daydreams, it's like unleashing your unconscious and letting it wrestle with our consciousness.(i.e. Conquering your problems in your mind in fantastical ways.) Lucid dreaming is pretty similar but you are half awake so it feels more... realistic? I have never been able to lucid dream and stay in a deep 'sleep.' But imagine some people can, as I have heard and read.

I think it does say something about a person's creativity though. An affinity of sorts. Potential and evolved skill are still the most important keys, but someone with an affinity for creativity is more likely to develop those skills which are important for plots, settings, and characters.

(Sleep)Dreams I always believed to be you piercing the depths of your own mind. Reflection afterwards can lead to insights about yourself that you might not have been aware of. That sounds a little prophetic so I just want to add that, it is based in actual theory, science and psychology. Dreams are actually really, really interesting to study, lots of bits to chew on.