1. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

"The speed of dark"

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by w176, Mar 9, 2011.

I've just begun reading/listening to "The speed of dark" by Elizabeth Moon (author of "The Deed of Paksenarrion" etc). So far an impressive book.

Partly it it because how well it handles the subject of the book. Autism, being different, the pressure to adapt to norms and the human mind. Respectfully, insightfully and lovingly.

Secondly because how masterfully it handles both first and third person perspective. Everything told from the autistic main character perspective is told in a very objective first person perspective, observing and trying to analyse the world. Anything told by other "normal" characters is told in third person, more subjectively without the need to analyse each detail, highlighting the difference between what comes easy to most people and what the main character must struggle to understand.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in autism or writing/storytelling for that manner and is willing to lend that person my copy of the book since it been quite hard to get my hands on.

2. OrangeInAir

OrangeInAir Member

Thanks for mentioning that book, I looked at it on amazon and it looks really interesting. I think I'll get it from the library!

btw, I like your sig, haha

3. OrangeInAir

OrangeInAir Member

I just finished that book. It was very good. I am not sure how I liked the ending though, it seemed a bit rushed.

*minor spoiler*

A little more closure with the fencing group at the end would have been really interesting.