Tags:
  1. Prodigy

Prodigy New Member

Motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Prodigy, Sep 17, 2008.

What has motivated you to write the stories that you have? Like a past experience? A point of view? Just something appealing to you? Mine has been, for the most part, a point of view on a subject.

2. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

I was first motivated by stories I read when I was younger, and now that I look back on some of my older stories, I can see how much I've plageurized (sp?) them XP lol
    Other things too, like life experiences, my religion, my imagination...there's lots of things.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I find it fun. Fun is what makes life worth living. We all gotta find something that makes us happy (if we're lucky we find more than one :p).

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

THe motivation I had for writing stories was venting... whenever I really need to vent about something that is going on, or someone, I used to sit down and write stories. But I stopped writing them now and only write poetry... not for the same reason though!

5. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I don't really know. : /... Seriously! I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just because I like books but I just remember having a wild fascination with fantasy as a kid.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Usually, it's because something interests me, and I want to explore it further by writing about it.

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I write about what I'm interested in reading/learning about. Aside from that, the motivations behind each story are unique, so I'd never be able to list them all. *shrug*

Lack of friends and social activities probably prompted a lot of my work too, since it's not like I have anything better to do with my time.

8. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I won't name all; I'll just pinpoint one. I wrote a story called "Bonfire" (which disappeared after my room flooded) about a young woman who sets fire to her apartment destroying her father's precious "Lucille" (not a poodle, or anything, but a guitar). She and her younger sister take off in her car and are zooming up Signal Hill (where they first lit a bonfire and pranced around it like possessed souls at the beginning of the story) and it ends there.

There was no other motivation except for one here: I wanted to tell that particular story.

9. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

dreams.

10. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

Escape motivates me to write. I like leaving my world and entering into the world that I build on paper.

11. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I write stories I would want to read. I also want to write stories from a new perspective. A little Anime style to the novels.

I also hope that I throw stereotypes out the window and on there ear.

12. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I like to tell stories :)
    Plus if a scene gets stuck in my head then there's no telling where I could be with it the day after. I like to develop ideas until they fizzle out, then at least I can expell them from the grey matter without feeling like I might have missed an opportunity!

13. Dex

Dex New Member

How do you keep yourself motivated and optimistic enough to write?

I've just started my book but looking at what I've written so far, it seems kind of crappy. What should I do to keep myself motivated. I really do want to get this story down, to express it in written word, but can't help but feel disheartened.

14. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Just keep writing and tie up the loose ends when you're satisfied with what you've done, and see the need to continue.

15. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I'd suggest not re-reading what you've already written, except for the last paragraph or so at the start of each session just to remind you of what you were doing. If it's the first draft you shouldn't sit and ponder over every word. Concentrate on getting the words out now, and then refine it at a later date.

On keeping myself motivated, I check my outline. I work out how far I am away from a scene I'm eager to write, and then work towards it. I refuse to write out of sequence, so the only way to get to what I want is to plough through the scenes day after day until I get there. Then once I've reached that point, and written the scene/chapter, I then do the same again: find something to work towards.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't have to... writing is my life... i just do it the way i breathe...

if you've gotten discouraged/bored with what you're writing, leave it for a while and write something else... when you come back to it, you'll see it with fresh eyes and be able to either 'fix' it or continue, if it's going the way you want it to...

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Remember why you write. As long as it's not for money or fame, sometimes knowing why you write can help you. I often like to just imagine my story in my head, like a movie, in all its epic scenery - and then I keep thinking "wow" and I know I have to write it.

Also, for a first draft, just get through it. If you keep going back, you'll never finish it. Almost every single writer never publishes a first draft, and many work on their projects for years on end - so it's nothing unusual.

18. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Dex,

While there are some external things you can do, it is mostly internal. You have to have the self-discipline to do what it takes to move forward with your writing, be it adding new words to project, revising, researching, finding markets to submit completed works, etc.

From what you described, consider picking up where you left off each day (or when you're able to sit down and write) and focus on completing the story/novel. Get the first draft finished.

You'll find that from beginning to end, your writing will have improved. In addition to that, you'll have the entire story down, so that going back and making revisions--fixing plot holes, removing or expanding scenes, fixing dialogue, in addition to typos and grammar gaffs--will be more effective and efficient.

It is also motivating to have completed projects, working from a first draft toward a final draft, instead of reworking the same chapters/scenes over and over again.

In the end it is you who will determine if you're going to move forward toward your writing goals or not. It won't always be loads of fun, or easy. Despite this, you'll just have to sit down and do what it takes. That's just the way it is.

Just a few thoughts. Hope they help.

Terry

19. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I feel that the most important, and oftentimes the most difficult, aspect of writing is the storyline (I will assume that your novel is fictional). If you find yourself struggling to find a basis for the story, it will be exceedingly difficult to produce anything without unnecessary effort. However, if you can find an idea that flows well within your mind, no matter how simple that plot is, it will evolve over time as if you had always planned it.

This by no means that you should already know everything about that story. But to write, I don't feel that you need to have that sort of omniscience from the beginning. As long as it can start off, it will be fine. The most important part in a space mission (or missile-based attack, for that matter) is the launch; it is no different for writing.

If you already have a clear sense of what that book is about, continue to consider it constantly. It will come together naturally. If it truly fits the way it should, and it comes easily to you, then you will likely have no need for outside motivation. The writing itself should be its own reward.

I don't know if this was at all helpful; if it wasn't, please tell me.

20. ObsidianVale

ObsidianVale New Member

this is saying that has kept me very motivated through out the years.

You don't have to like coal, but it's all you have to make diamonds with.

basically my beginners abilities are the only tools i have to work with to write stories. i can sit there at the computer all i want and wish i had so and so's abiltiy to describe or wish i have there ability to ... whatever but when it comes down to it. the only tools i have are my own. and the more i work with them the better and more refine they will become!

21. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

You need to have fun. Simple as that. Your characters must come alive and feel so real you would rather talk to them than a real life person.

22. Dex

Dex New Member

I just have to thank you all for the great advice. My moment of writers depression has passed!

23. architectus

architectus Banned

I write to get better. Think of it as practice, knowing that the more you write the better you will get at it.

I think more than anything, writing is a discipline. Form a schedule and stick to it no matter what. Eventually, your brain makes a ritual out of it and writing during that time becomes second nature.

24. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I recommend you just write and write until you've got all of the story out of you. Don't critique yourself at all. Don't proofread/edit/or anything. Just write, write, write. Maybe even type without looking up at what you've written, if that is the only way to keep yourself from judging yourself. Get that story out of you. Once that's done, then work on revisions and such.

25. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd share this interesting little tidbit--

I've been a bit lazy in my writing lately, and have been going very slow. I'm on here a lot, and love reading the threads and stuff, so I made myself a deal: everytime I want to click a link or post a message, I make myself type 100 words first. I don't know if it'll work for other people, but it helps me!:D