1. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

DeadMoon's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by DeadMoon, Apr 25, 2016.

Tonight I start my novel!!! well as much as I can with a two year old running around like he found a stash of pixie sticks. I am not actually starting to writing the novel itself but more of put down what I know so far, work out the tent poles, characters and the like but its a start and that more then I had yesterday.

My goal is to finish the first draft in about four to five months then put it aside and start working on some short stories and maybe ideas for nanowrimo.

Vikingessa and Lilith Addington like this.
  2. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Woohoo! It's always exhilarating to start a new writing project. Good luck and happy writing! :D

DeadMoon likes this.
  3. DeadMoon

I started creating a list of possible character names, what they do how they might tie in with each other, how they relate to each other and so on. Most of them will be minor characters so I won't go into much detail with them.

I am also trying to work on a good premise, something to keep me focused through out the writing process.

and if I can stay awake I would like to write down a few of the major plot points.

Lilith Addington likes this.
  4. DeadMoon

Well I have discovered that writing with a two year old running around is basically the same as writing WITH a two year old typing right next to you on the same keyboard. Never the less I am doing what I can do until he finally lets the sandman lull him to sleep.

I have, and am still, looking and saving a few photos from my favorite small town as a base model for my fictional one. I am not going to use and real names but for the most part the layout of the town and a few business types ect...

5. DeadMoon

Nothing much to report tonight but there is one interesting fact to share. The town I am using as a model for my fictional town is called Northfield. (in Minnesota) The next town over (and where my sister in law lives) is called..... Castle Rock (if your don't get the reference then read up on your Stephen King)

6. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

Can I ask why you decided to go with Northfield? Did you need a setting with dueling preppy liberal arts colleges, or a setting that always smells like a breakfast cereal factory?

7. DeadMoon

I happen to be very fond of that town. I have never noticed any breakfast cereal smell, although there is an artsy fartsy kinds scene there.. still I have fond memories of finding an old copy of Dracula in a book store there or having a drink at the foggy bottoms tavern next to the waterway.

8. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I was only there once, years ago, but the Malt-o-Meal factory definitely gave off a noticeable odor. It seemed to be present wherever I went.

That and I had several friends who went to Carleton or St. Olaf. That's really the extent of my Northfield credentials.

9. DeadMoon

I didn't see it until I was sitting here contemplating my story. I knew there would be a part of me in whatever I wrote but this hit me harder then I expected. The heart of this story is, or will be, something that I have been dealing with for years. Writing this could be a good therapy, a great way to take the pain and regret and hatred and unleash it all into this book. It will be a mirror reflecting back my inner self. My angels, my demons and the children they create together.

10. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

Write what you know and feel. That's never a bad direction to take. Some of the best novels in history were written because of this.

11. DeadMoon

I have come t find that I am no where near ready to really write my book, and that's a good thing.

I have been binging on a blog called Storyfix.com. It really hit me how the developing your concept first is important in story telling. From that the premise and all of the other aspects emerge. So back I go to develop the concept more and strengthen the foundation of my book.

12. DeadMoon

After weeks of thinking, pondering and flat out begging the idea Gods I have finally found my Antagonist!

13. DeadMoon

I officially have started the actual writing of my book. It is only 60 words or so but a start never the less.

14. DeadMoon

I started a new short story today, only to 300 words in but it felt like I was writing an entire Steven king novel. and most of it sucks anyway..... :mad: But in the end it is 300 words that I didn't have this morning.

15. DeadMoon

I went to bed sure of how I was going to write my short story. I now, seven hours later, have no damn clue... so many more questions to ask and answer.
    but also a deeper and much more rich story is forming in this aging mind of mine.

16. DeadMoon

I got about 1300 words into a new short story before I started rewriting it in my head. Not a huge deal really, it was not plotted at all but more of a flurry of writing so I would not forget the basic concept. That feeling of thinking fasted then I could type was a great feeling though, I don't get as often as I would like. So I think I will go back and plan a bit more before continuing the tale.