1. KevinK

KevinK New Member

Developing a CMS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KevinK, Dec 26, 2012.

Hey WF! This is my first time on this website and I'm looking for feedback on something I have been developing. I've been working a lot with PHP and started developing my first CMS, aka Content Management System. CMS's make it easy to build and manage a website, and the best examples would be Wordpress, blogger, or Joomla. These options are great if you have a big complex blog or you need many extensive features but otherwise, they are heavy and slow. Finding developers and theme creators for these platforms can be expensive, and readily built themes for author/book websites is far in between. I've noticed the multitude of rising writers and I figured it would be useful to have an option designed just for y'all. I've spent my time today and last night building the basics and so far it's coming along well. I'm here for ideas on features that would be useful for you to help get your books out there and make your work easy to find in this internet world. All pages will be easy to build and edit, through a simple password protected black end dashboard. I plan for this CMS to be freely available, so all you will need is a domain and cheap hosting plan of your choice. The first release will be basic but I plan on later offering different themes, and a way to choose colors and other customization features. If this sounds of use to you at all, please leave a comment on how it can work for you. If not, explain why. I want to build something that will be useful and if it isn't, let me know!

Features built so far:
    Homepage - features a banner to highlight the author, recent/popular book, or whatever else you please. Directly link to your twitter in upper corner. Also has three spaces for testimonials or quotes from your books to interest the visitor.
    Static Page- build an About Me page, or any other static text page. Share information about yourself, let your potential readers know who you are and where you get your inspiration.
    Contact - Let readers and publishers contact you, list your information here or incorporate a form for visitors to contact you instantly. Receive these messages to your email.

Currently building:
    Shop or Store - Sell books and other merchandise. Set it up to link directly to amazon or other website for visitors to securely checkout.

----------
    All page names can be edited, so you can have as many pages as you would like. Example: You can use the static page template for an About Me page, an Inspirations page, etc. Please leave your comments and ideas below. Looking forward to hearing from the community - thanks!

Image of Homepage:
    [​IMG]

2. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

dang dude are you for real advertisving your stuff here..... for real....... why create an account to just advertise......

3. KevinK

KevinK New Member

Lol... 'free'? Totally advertising my stuff... note all the links and buy it now's? trolololollll ^