1. Johny Swift

Johny Swift New Member

"House of Leaves"

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Johny Swift, Jun 12, 2011.

I would like to hear some other opinions on the style of writing used in this piece written by Mark Z. Danielewski. I am hard pressed to find a work that can truly effect my day to day life, however this book came very close to driving me insane. I believe that Mark has found a way of writing similiar to what Artaud found with the theater.

I am in total awe of this book, and can't stop obsessing over other ways to convey printed text outside of its standard black ink paragraphs. Has anyone else had this impression?

2. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I've heard about this book quite a bit and i definitely plan on reading it. It really sounds awesome. It seems like it might be really difficult to get through at times though the way it takes the written word to such experimental levels

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I read it early last year and I loved it. It was so unique! It's style I found really interesting too, however, it has really put a lot of my friends off reading it. But I think obsessing over the style is the very thing the book is warning against, and wanting you to do at the same time. ;)

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I was going to read House of Leaves earlier this year but I never got round to it. I'm definitely reading it when I can though. I'm really intrigued with the style.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Interesting, I was just visitor-messaging with someone about that book earlier today. It seems very good. I definitely plan to check it out from the library asap. Then I'll be able to join in on this discussion. :)

6. Johny Swift

Johny Swift New Member

It's an amazing piece in my opinion, the little things he did with inking are impressive. His ability to throw the reader out of his comfort zone is beyond anything I've ever seen, the parts about the labyrinth especially.

I believe that this is the first true psychological horror put to print. I hope more people give thought to the mindset behind this piece. I think that his style is the future of the horror genre.