Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

* * * DEBATE ROOM GUIDELINES * * *

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Wreybies, Nov 5, 2013.

Until further notice or future need:

All current rules that apply to the forum as a whole, apply in this area as well. The nature of this subforum in no way negates or makes invalid the rules that apply globally, nor does the vigor with which arguments are presented excuse poor behavior, flaming, name-calling or trolling of any kind. If your knowledge of the forum rules is cursory, I suggest you commit them to memory before entering.

If you have never participated in a debate, or other types of intellectual discussion that this forum will include, not exclude, understand that it is a different creature than conversations in the rest of the forum. Members will present evidence and logical argument in support of their stance, question, or thesis with a vigor to which you may not be accustomed. If you are not of the temperament to engage politely in such a discussion, think twice before entering. It’s not for everyone, and there's no shame in that. If you are a veteran of formal debate forums, this subforum is not structured to the tight format to which you may be accustomed. It is more informal. From time to time threads will be moved to this forum, at the discretion of the mods, when it appears that the conversation is entering into more rigorous territory.

In debates you will see many terms used to refute what appear to be logical fallacies (errors) of argument. If you are unfamiliar with these terms, I strongly suggest that familiarizing yourself be your first task before entering into any topic in this subforum. You can find a list of them here (which I do not claim as being fully comprehensive) and there are countless other places on the web. This is crucial information to have.

When you formulate your stance, thesis, or question, think very carefully as to how you phrase and word it. Use precise words that mean only what you intend to mean. Sloppy, assumptive or casual speech in your phrasing is a sure road to misunderstanding and derailment. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

The Staff

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I strongly support Wreybies' post above. It is official Debate Room policy.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

You found a policy somewhere in there?

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Re "future [current] need", as the target of repeated ad hominem debate tactics, while it is a compliment to me the person using such an attack has nothing else, I can ignore such a debate fallacy, and/or I can call attention to it.

I'm wondering if there are any other options? Addressing fallacious debate tactics seems more of a debate issue than a 'report to a mod' issue. But it obviously upsets other forum members to see an issue drag out too long as evidenced by a thread lock after I went to bed last night.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Addressing argumentative fallacies is part of the debate paradigm, it is not a report to a mod issue, hence my mention that these terms will be addressed in debates, so best to know them well. The closing of the thread of which you speak had nothing to do with that and everything to do with an overheated, completely derailed thread.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

There also needs to be some sort of rule that actually discourages sensitive people from entering a debate. I honestly think the debate should be placed somewhere else, not as an additional part of The Lounge, as it's so easy to enter one of those stupid slugging matches debates here usually come down to when you think you are going into The Lounge, which apparently now has different rules to boot. That doesn't make any sense to me to be honest.

What I mean is this, and I don't want anyone to think I am singling them out despite not mentioning names, I'm honestly not thinking of anyone here, but if you can't read a post coolly, and respond to it rationally then you deserve no place in a grown up debate.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

So, what, that leaves three or four of us with permission to debate? :D

chicagoliz and Lemex like this.
  8. Wreybies

Also (sorry to quote the same bit twice, but I had a rethink) when it goes overlong, just report it. This subforum is moderated like any other forum.

9. Wreybies

Sensitivity is not something that can be measured beforehand or even after the fact. I have no guaranty that @Steerpike won't come in one day in a crap mood and go to town on people (again, I use you 'Pike because you're the least likely of individuals) ;). Hence, this bit: If you are not of the temperament to engage politely in such a discussion, think twice before entering. It’s not for everyone, and there's no shame in that.

Lemex likes this.
  10. GingerCoffee

Yes, I did think the debate belonged in a different thread, but it started on topic when I brought up ad hominem fallacy examples. I admit to defending the nursing profession a tad too enthusiastically at times.

:rolleyes:

I would imagine my enthusiasm and persistence is seen by some as losing my cool. From my side of the screen, I am rarely upset. When I do get upset, that's when I report a post and try not to reply to it further. I don't recall reporting many posts but that could be false memories. ;)

11. Steerpike

Exchanges by text alone lead to a lot of misunderstandings. Without visual and audio cues, we're left without a lot of what we use to discern intent, mood, etc. in other people. People project themselves onto the text.

12. Wreybies

Before this thread goes too astray and off into lands that cause closed threads, I want to remind everyone of an important point that Steerpike brought up yesterday.

Writingforums.org, as a forum, petitioned Daniel for smaller government, less micromanagement and more freedom of speech. That is the paradigm under which we are currently functioning. It is the paradigm that we will continue to apply until we are told otherwise. There's a lot of whatiffing going on here which troubles me because it assumes everyone riding that leading edge of the parabola, ever approaching X, where X = Trouble. Look behind you folks, the parabola sweeps in the other direction as well.

13. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Rules are only created for that one side, though. That's the point.

14. Wreybies

I am well aware of the paradigm of "rules" and why they exist, JJ. I was in the military and enjoyed it muchly. [​IMG]

We have rules of conduct in place that already address those matters, which I reiterate clearly in the OP. There is no need at this point for further micromanaging of members. I stress again that this debate forum is, by nature, of a less formal ilk than its more formal brethren elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  15. Lemex

I honestly wasn't thinking about you, you were pretty far from my thoughts in that actually. I guess I've been on these forums long enough to remember users like Lin Robinson.

16. Wreybies

:D

Let me tell you, man, there's a part of me that agrees with this soooooo much. I see the latin phrases flying and it feels like someone just broke out the tape measure in the boys locker room. As much as it pains me, I don't think we can really add such a provision. ;) These terms are part of the language of debate.

17. Steerpike

Yep. Res ipsa loquitur.

18. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

lol

I barely understand what all you people are saying as is.

19. Lemex

I'll take this as 'Lemex, take your signature and fu*k off' then. :D
    Haha just kidding, just kidding.

20. GingerCoffee

But that's the name of the fallacy.

I use English for some of the fallicies like, argument from authority. There's just not a good English word for ad hominem fallacy. It differs from simple insults.

21. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Whoa, whoa, easy with the ad hominem attacks.

22. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

calmly whistles by... :D

23. GingerCoffee

OK, lawyers have taken such phrases muc
    That's the point, that was derogatory, but it wasn't an ad hom. ;)

24. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I hope you realize I was joking.

25. GingerCoffee

Oh yeah, I thought it was light hearted. That's what the winky smiley was supposed to acknowledge. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.