1. CrystalWriter

CrystalWriter Member

Deciding Titles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CrystalWriter, Oct 25, 2011.

How do people come up with titles?

I always have a hard time coming up with exceptional titles for my stories. :confused:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The title of a story is almost always the last thing I come up with. The title should fit the story, and usually I find it becomes obvious what a good or the best title for a piece is during the writing of it. Often I find that a particular line or fragment of a line from the story makes a good title, or a simple overview in a few words of what the story is about.

If you really can't think of anything that shines, go for something simple, which presents the story as clearly and honestly as possible.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

Titles are like clothes. Sometimes, the title's too big for the story at the beginning and it has to grow into it. Sometimes, it's too small once the story starts growing and it needs to get a new one. It's all about eventually getting the right fit the same way you do with clothes. Try them on and look at it to see whether you like it.

4. JGHunter

JGHunter Member

I used to be in the habit of thinking of an AWESOME TITLE and then trying to craft a story into it. Really not a good idea. It seemed easy as a kid but it just wasn't good. Banzai's reply is probably the way to go. Ah Banzai, I see you hail from Reading, I'm from near Reading, originally...

5. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

I'm actually quite the opposite and in the same boat as CrystalWriter. When I plotted out my series, I literally had simple titles of Book 1, Book 2, and so forth. Once they were all planned out, coming up with working titles just about killed me. A title is one of the first impressions potential readers will have. I knew they had to have impact and style in order to not only draw attention but also convey a bit of intrigue and draw the reader in.

The main thing I shot for with my titles was to be different. I didn't want something that people would instantly recognize or immediately know what it is. I wanted my titles to have a bit of mystery to the reader at first but make perfect sense once the book is complete, like To Kill a Mocking Bird. It's all about finding out what fits best instead of drawing attention. Having a title that is misleading may not be in your best interest if all you want to do is draw attention. It won't take them long to see through it and in the end, you'll be the one to suffer.

So far, I've come up with 1 solid title and 5 working titles to which I'm very pleased with. My best piece of advice is not worry about a title too much and give your book a working title for the time being. That way you are no longer bothered/stressed with figuring one out and maybe after completing your book, you'll find a title that suits it better. I nearly killed myself trying to find a fitting title for one of the potential books in my series. My fiance was the one to snap me back into reality when she told me "If I were you, I'd worry more about making your first book perfect than trying to figure out the rest before they're even written".

6. shyxter

shyxter Member

I always go through a title dilemma once I'm done writing a story or a poem. What I usually do is I try my best to make my own title, then I ask my writer friends if they agree with it or can suggest something else. But most importantly, follow your heart. If you think a certain title is best for your writing, go for it.