1. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Defining Love.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by destinationless, Sep 26, 2008.

An excerpt from my most recent blog. I'm trying to define it, rewire my mind, if you will.

What is love? What is the difference between love and care? Is it a necessity in this world? Does love come in different forms, types, kinds, or is there one universal feeling? Think of it like this: is the love you feel for your wife the same love you have for your dog? ...Why? Why not? (Only unto the separatist, separation.) Why are we as humans designed to be monogamic creatures? Is a polyomic person any different? Homosexual, heterosexual, pansexual, transexual...

More than that, why is the word tossed around so carelessly? It is a constant chant among the school hallways, "Love ya, bitch!" "Oh, you know I love ya." "I -love- this!"
    Does anyone really know what it means?

-D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Words can only communicate experiences thet tha speaker and the listener have in common. But love is such a personal experience, different for every person who experiences it, and for every person that person feels it in relation to, that it defies definition.

How can you ever expect to define something like that? And by defining it, you enclose it in limits. Love cannot exist in neatly delineated limits.

3. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

You're putting too much relevance on the word itself, rather than the meaning behind it. For what it's worth, I don't know what it is, and I always wonder how such a loosely defined word mean so much to people. But, hey, that's just me.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

As another member pointed out in another thread like this one. "Love is patient, love is kind." ~ 1st Corinthians 13:4.

I see no need for further specifics. That sums up about as general a definition as you'll get on the term. Like Cogito said. it can be so many things it's limiting to delve to deep into specifics. It's meanings are to broad.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

6. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Oh, no! The experience is what makes the definition hard. "What is love?" becomes more like a koan: "What is mu?" and not something you can answer verbally.

It's patient, and it can't wait. It's kind, but it hurts -- that stupid feeling in your stomach from a chemical high you can't resist. You can resist it, for it's choice and action (not chemicals) and it does no harm as a rule. No, that's obligation-- you need to feel the natural high, of affection. No, the high would be confusing it with obsession-- it doesn't just sit in your heart like a stone, it needs to be made daily like bread. Left up to "feelings", it means nothing. Left up to actions, it means nothing. It's work, it's effortless. It's holding on no matter what, it's also setting each other free. It's surrender and worship, no, it's equality and respect.
    Some people confuse it with obligation, obsession, affection... but then who's to say it isn't.

It's very simple, really. ;)

Referring to your whole blog entry, can I just say I'm so glad you found people who can confuse you for the better. People like that are awesome!

flawed personality likes this.
  7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Love is something you feel, it can only be expresse between the two people, it just is.

I guess this would mean the term would be meant differently between each couple.

The term love is just the dumbed down version of what cant be explained ;) (cause i most certainly know whay it is, but i know it can never express what i feel).

8. lessa

lessa New Member

there are too many types of love to put one definition.
    mother's love
    wifely love
    pet love
    love of food
    just to name a few.
    love also changes from day to day
    and from situation to situation.
    love can make you feel wonderful
    it can also make you feel helpless,
    scared, miserable.
    It can be reciprocated or abandoned.
    It is also different with every person.

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Love can't be defined because it constantly changes. The "love" that led to my marriage is not the same "love" many years later. When my dad died, I discovered a kind of love for him that I did not even know I had. I grew up afraid of him. He was tough and demanding, even after his accident left him with two crushed legs. I became hardened and cold as I went to high school during the day and worked in a chemical plating factory at night to support my, rather, his family. When I left for Vietnam, he tried to hug me goodbye - that seemed very odd to me. I pushed him away and told him "I hate your f'ing ass. I hope I never see you again." Six months later, I woke up in a field hospital after sappers got through the wire at a forward firebase and dad was the only person I wanted to talk to. When we talked, he told me how proud he was of me . . . first compliment he ever gave me. It should have meant nothing, but coming from him, it meant everything. In the end, it was the toughness I learned from him that saved my life in Nam. Thanks Dad, I miss you.

10. lessa

lessa New Member

I am sitting here crying. WHY?
    because the cat I loved like a child is now buried
    in her favourite spot in the back yard.
    I loved her enough to let her go to sleep because
    she was in enough pain all day to make her cry.
    She was my baby for 23 years and I will miss the
    love she gave my entire family.
    That is a love that non-cat people will never know
    and I can't explain.
    Naci is correct. Love changes constantly so is not really describable.

11. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

23 years? Wow. That's a really long time to have a cat.

I'm sorry for your loss.

12. Louisos

Louisos New Member

Love is an individual experience, not -in my mind- an experience betwen couples. I think most people in a relationship wil feel for their partner in a different way to the way that their partner feels for them. I know my girlfriend does not love me as much as I love her, for example, but she still loves me and I love her, but it is not the same love.

13. Speedy

I was actually a bit tippsy when i typed that

But, i hear what your saying about not being on the same level in a relationship. But ours, we are completely. That might sound like "yeah, but how, do you know" and all i can say is... it just is, we both feel it and battle each ither with "i love you more" BS (weell its not BS, but you know wha i mean!),

14. Louisos

Louisos New Member

Yeah we do that too :)
    But I still do not believe her and I to be on a par.

15. Speedy

Thats cool, i understand. Its a thing you feel, if you dont, then you'd be right than
    If the world was all on that kind of level, it would be....most likely screwed up.

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I just accept that it is a very powerful feeling/emotion, that just simply can not be explained or defined.

I think once we are able to, it won't hold that beauty and wonder any more. We try too hard to understand everything, to know everything, to explore everything, and we forget to step back, and just enjoy something, we forget to enjoy life! Usually by the time we remember to enjoy things, we have already lost them...

17. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Love is desire.

18. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

L is for the way you look at me
    O is for the only one I see
    V is very, very extraordinary
    E is even more than anyone that you adore can

Love is all that I can give to you
    Love is more than just a game for two