1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributing Member Contributor

Definitelymaybe's submission journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by DefinitelyMaybe, Oct 9, 2015.

My this year's (hardly new year's) resolution is to actually submit stuff.

I've submitted a number of Flash fiction stories over the last few weeks, and submitted another one today. Another is ready to go with victim publisher already selected, just want to edit a few more times.

This may be a boring thread.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

You probably already know this, but a defibrillator in fact stops the heart rather than starting it. Once you have flat lined you are dead- all those films and TV shows that show a defibrillator miraculously reviving dead people lied. There we go, that fought the boredom.

Fair play for submitting stuff. Sounds good getting your name out there. I hope they like your stuff and you get some good responses.

DefinitelyMaybe likes this.
  3. outsider

outsider Contributing Member Contributor

Liking the name @DefinitelyMaybe.

4. DefinitelyMaybe

Unfortunately I stole the name!
    [​IMG]

outsider likes this.
  5. outsider

outsider Contributing Member Contributor

Yes, I did think it was vaguely familiar.;)

6. DefinitelyMaybe

I got home and my copy of 'Hooked - Write fiction that grabs readers at page one and never lets them go' had arrived in the post. Really looking forward to reading this.

Bocere likes this.
  7. Bocere

Bocere Member

*Immediately Google searches aforementioned book title* I may have to purchase this! It looks really helpful - thanks for the tip, whether it was intended to be one or not! :)

8. DefinitelyMaybe

Just woke up, looked at 100 word story sites on Google. Found one that recommended an online word counter, wrote a story, edited a bit, and submitted. All in about 20 minutes. I don't know if I should have done that. The story had a rather 'me too' plot, but I was pleased that two sentences in it sounded 'literary' due to their metaphors. I note that many of the 100 word story sites charge for submissions. Perhaps that's to stop people doing what I just did. In any case, another story submitted.

EDIT: The story bounced back, I'd used the wrong email address. I wondered briefly if this was an opportunity to reconsider submitting, but I decided to send it off again. It can't hurt, I think.

9. DefinitelyMaybe

Just had another rejection. Within an hour I'd resubmitted the story. I'm not too sure about turning around and resubmitting a rejected story, but I've seen it recommended on various writing advice websites.

In the meantime I'm nearly 1/2 way through "Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers At Page One and Never Lets Them Go". The author portrays his recipe as the only way to write fiction and the only way to get published. I'm not sure I agree with that, but certainly think I can selectively use the techniques described in the book to improve my fiction.

EDIT: I've just rewritten the end of another flash fiction I wrote last week, to give more closure and make the story more complete. As discussed by the book. I've now submitted this to another high rejection rate place (5% acceptance), so I'll see what happens.

EDIT: Another rejection. Serves me right for submitting to a website that has a 100% rejection rate on The (Submission) Grinder. Now looking for somewhere else to submit that.

EDIT: Submitted again. I am going to have to be careful to remember where I have submitted to, as I have a number of stories out there at the moment. Sites/publications that use Submittable are OK, but quite a few request email submissions.

Reading of the book "Hooked...." has paused a bit. I hope to read another chapter tonight. I'm planning to finish the book before really experimenting with its tools for writing, though some application of these tools has already happened. I have several story ideas (in my case I map them out quite a bit) ready for writing - but probably that will be by the weekend.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Tenderiser likes this.
  10. DefinitelyMaybe

I've had something appear on a website. It does have a 1/1 = 100% acceptance record on The (Submission) Grinder, but it's nice that a human being has read my story, slightly copy-edited it, and put it up.

11. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

Congrats! Did you get some feedback, too?

12. DefinitelyMaybe

I didn't. But, the story is up there for people to see.

I've just had a second acceptance. For an e-publishing anthology. I'm very pleased about this too.

13. DefinitelyMaybe

I had a bit of a day off after receiving my short story acceptance. But, this morning I wrote another 100 word story and submitted it to an appropriate (I hope :) ) site. It may sound hurried to write and submit, but that's what interests me about 100 word stories. It went through a number of rewrites and considerable change, even in the hour or so between conception and submission. To fit the story into 100 words I really had to trust my readers (if I get any - might be rejected). There are quite a few dots for them to join, and the dots might be quite widely spaced in points. But, I believe that it works as a story.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  14. DefinitelyMaybe

Aaaannnnnddddd.... another rejection. Not the story I submitted this morning, but one submitted a few weeks ago. I know where I'm going to submit this one next. To a place that has a slightly more generous word limit so I can address the problem of the beginning being a bit unimpressive. (Though, such is important for the story.) I've got to find a way to make the beginning more readable.

15. DefinitelyMaybe

Another rejection, but this one goes into detail as to why my story was rejected. Extremely useful. This is the rejection I've been most happy to receive.

16. DefinitelyMaybe

Right, I know which story I'm going to be submitting next, and where I'm going to be submitting it. Still need to finish the story, so maybe sometime next week?

17. DefinitelyMaybe

I've submitted two stories this morning. One is a rewrite of a story that has been rejected by an ultra-selective web magazine, and is now being submitted to a web magazine which is only very selective. The second has been submitted to a web magazine/site that's an interesting place to have stuff, but not difficult to publish in. Though, the quality of what I read there is still high, so I'm happy when one of my stories makes it in.

I still haven't submitted the story I mentioned in my previous post. I'm going to give it another revision now.

18. DefinitelyMaybe

Another story, nano fiction, submitted this morning. I've also had an inspiration for my next story for my highest level (based on rejection rate) place to publish. To me, it seems like a good, well-written, story. Editors don't seem to agree however. I'll review a few more times, and submit.

Another story that I thought was ready to submit has to be changed. I've suddenly realised that there is a huge factual error in the story, and it needs to be rewritten to remove it.

19. DefinitelyMaybe

An acceptance yesterday, but this was a place that has (according to The (Submission) Grinder) a high acceptance rate. The highly complimentary words from the editor were nice to read, and I have to admit that the single word change they suggested does improve the story.

This morning I wrote another short short story (351 words) and submitted it. I did wake up early this morning, so there has already been quite a bit of editing done to it, and I feel that the story is where I can get it to. I think the ending of the story is too 'cute', so don't have high expectations. But, it is what it is.

20. Chinspinner

Isn't Definitely Maybe an album by Spandau Ballet? It feels so good to find a fellow Spandau Ballet fan. Gold, gold, always believe in your soul... love it.

21. DefinitelyMaybe

Definitely Maybe is by Oasis. :)

I'm a bit mixed on Spandau Ballet. I very much like their first album very much and bought it when it first came out. Giving away my age a bit there. However, while the later albums are nice, I find them a bit normal for me. Maybe I haven't given them a fair spin. I'm listening to Diamond as I type. I've always liked "Chant No. 1", as it's like the first album. I'll see what the rest sounds like.

22. Chinspinner

Just messing mate. I grew up with it. Always hated Liam but quite liked Noel.

23. DefinitelyMaybe

Damn. Now I don't know if I should stop listening to Spandau Ballet's "Diamond" or not.

24. DefinitelyMaybe

I've submitted another article this morning. The submission was influenced by the latest Daily Science Fiction story. I looked through the author's Bio, found a likely looking place, and submitted a story. The (Submission) Grinder says that this place has a 100% acceptance rate, but out of one tracked submission. So, I have no idea how difficult it is to publish in.

I feel slightly embarrassed submitting with a bio that doesn't include many fiction publications, and most of those forthcoming. (Roll on the 14th of November.) Hopefully if I keep on submitting, I'll keep on getting the occasional acceptance among all the rejection.

EDIT: This isn't the place I submitted to, but what a fascinating place to publish: Cafe Irreal http://cafeirreal.alicewhittenburg.com I don't have anything to submit there at the second that fits, but this is definitely going to get me thinking.

EDIT: I've read some issues of Cafe Irreal, and also have what I believe to be a very suitable story idea. But, their record on The (Submission) Grinder is 100% rejection out of ten submitted stories.

EDIT: I've written and submitted another story this evening. Perhaps I'm doing this too fast, but after the first few hours of editing (broken by me going swimming), I don't stories improve all that much if at all.

I was concerned that I'd be writing and never submit, which influenced my choice of 'topic' for this progress journal. Am I erring too far in the other direction?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  25. DefinitelyMaybe

I've left this thread a bit as it was all: rejection, rejection, and more rejection.

But, I've just had another acceptance. It makes the slog all worth while. Sunny days are here again.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    BayView likes this.