1. NeeNee

NeeNee Member

What gives you the creeps?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by NeeNee, Jul 9, 2016.

Have you ever met someone that just creeped you out? What about that person gave you the creeps?

I am working on a short story and want a creepy person interviewing my MC. I don't want overtly creepy but just creepy enough to give her the willies.

So describe a creepy person or whatever creature you are thinking of or describe a creepy encounter to give me some inspiration.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I always feel a little weirded out when someone has mismatched eyes.

Witchymama and Oscar Leigh like this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Dude, that's so prejudiced! People with heterochromia have feelings to- nah, I understand. I do find quite fascinating though, in a nice way.

4. Oscar Leigh

Talking to yourself and pacing are often considered crazy tropes. Because of course, no sane person would ever do those. :whistle::whistle:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Witchymama and Seraph751 like this.
  5. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

I thought I was crazy too when that happened.

Oscar Leigh, Witchymama and Seraph751 like this.
  6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I meant people with eyes that don't line up right or when both eyes don't look at the same spot.

Heterochromia can be weird in a sexy way.

7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Anyone acts overly familiar with me when I barely know them creeps me out - getting in my personal space bubble, initiating touches beyond a handshake, asking really personal or intrusive questions, etc. Guaranteed to make my skin crawl off.

8. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

A recent and relevant thread: www.writingforums.org/threads/writing-creepy-characters.146672

I agree about being overly familiar (excessive or inappropriate physical contact, personal questions with no relevant lead-up).

Also:
    • Trying and failing to hide an obvious personal agenda (e.g. most politicians)
    • Manipulation, exploitation and expression of superiority complexes (e.g. most politicians)
    • Showing emotions that are non sequitur with the surrounding context, particularly if no explanation is offered (e.g. laughing at a joke that only aired in one's head)
    • Certain types of habitual fidgeting (e.g. sinuous finger movements, like what magicians do when practicing sleight of hand/misdirection).
    Don't listen to them about heterochromia: that's sexy ;)

Witchymama, Seraph751 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  9. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

When someone makes my skin crawl. It doesn't matter what they look like per say, but the vibes you pick up (aura, chi, electric wave whatever you want to say) from being around certain people. It doesn't matter if they look nice or not. If my skin is crawling around you then I will stay from you. :wtf:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Witchymama and Shattered Shields like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

I'd call that an emotional impression, being a skeptic. And I'd say you can pinpoint that to more specific things you are picking up more subconsciously.

Witchymama and Seraph751 like this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Marked asymmetry. Not fair, not right, not something they can help, but any obvious lateral imbalance like one front tooth being larger, the eye thing mentioned upthread, unusual bone formations etc. I'm not proud of it, but then, in horror, we are making up stories of suffering and death for entertainment, so the moral ground is shaky at best.

12. Auger

Auger Member

Trypophobia.

13. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Same here.

Witchymama likes this.
  14. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Invading my personal space, nothing, and I mean nothing, unnerves me faster. I've started conversations with people who immediately put their faces inches away from mine, and I either back up or put a hand on their shoulder or chest to get them to back off.

Also, just plain touching me when I don't know you well enough. If we've been friends for awhile, pff, it doesn't faze me one bit, but if not, then I'm officially creeped out.

Witchymama, izzybot and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. Oscar Leigh

Sounds super creepy. :whistle::whistle:
    (I think we can say that making a character Asperger's might help with the creepy behaviour part)

Witchymama likes this.
  16. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

(I'm a bit late to the thread, but I too love heterochromic eyes!)
    Things that creep me out is a stare that just goes on and on, slow licking of the lips while doing this, smiling while talking about not very nice things.
    Marc Warren in BBC Musketeers (as well as in The Hogfather, in which he has one black eye) is pretty creepy. To be honest every part he is in is a bit creepy (Except in Agatha Christie's Five Little Pigs for some reason). Check him out in 'Paying the Price' (a touch of frost). Another creepy person is David Hunter in Agatha Christie's Taken at the Flood.

I'm totally not just using this an excuse to talk about my favourite actor

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

That guy in Silence of the Lambs—mincing about starkers with his manbits tucked behind his thighs—memorable for creepiness. eeurgh. < Unsure how that'd fit into a ghost story mind @NeeNee . I'm just remembering what's impacted me.

There's an idea. Someone who can outcreep a creep; one with the ability (that comes with a guarantee) to have their skin crawl off (would it be like on hands and knees still? A boneless sack, all slithery, a-blooballing and wobbly), wibbling yonder whilst behind remains a creature, big round eyeballs I imagine. And naked*, seriously (adverbly) naked but for glistening muscle and tendon and teeth. Oh, and that little black holey bit where the nose should be.

*What would happen to the clothes?

18. Oscar Leigh

Marc Warren was amazing in the Hogfather adaption.

Witchymama likes this.
  19. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I suppose from reading the above examples that it might be me that give people the creeps...I'm the touchy feely one, I have a habit of placing a hand on someone's arm to make sure I have their attention. I do it to a lot of people and it doesn't matter if I only just met you. But I'd like to think I generally have a good read on people and don't do that to those who are closed off.

The only situation that really gave me the creeps was with this one tutor guy I met up with in University. We somehow ended up alone in some closed off rooms. And it completely creeped me out how he kept repeating his question of asking me if I wanted a drink. I kept saying no. That and the realization I was kinda stuck in a place alone with him was creepy.

So I'd say a repetitive question or a fixated focus where I'm left wondering the intent in an interview situation would make me wary.

I also think people who are expressionless or emotionally cold would give me the creeps if I was stuck with them in a room.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Sniam

Sniam Member

Once, I saw a student of my class swear a little under his breath. Not really a big deal, I didn't really notice it, it happens to lots of people. But then, he punched the wall, and I mean punched with his right fist, multiple times, while swearing. I just widened my eyes and picked up the pace. He has the kind of looks that make you think he's 30, but when he shaves you'd give him 20/25. So yeah, that was kind of creepy and not that reassuring...

PS : I discovered he was a nice guy and eventually got to know him well enough to ask him about what had happened on that day. Truth is, he suffers from tremendous back pain from times to times, and he can feel when it is about 2 minutes from happening. Basically, the only think he can do is brace for the impact and hope it will stop soon enough

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

Just realized, that's Stephanie Leonidas with him! She's cool too! (fangirling)

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  22. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I actually hate that those are considered signs of craziness or creepiness. If anything it`s merely a sign of neurodiversity, which is sadly perceived as crazy and creepy when it could refer to anything from schizophrenia, autism spectrum, to ADHD. Those people are different, not crazy and creepy but they (we) get perceived that way, mainly due to a failure of understanding. Not to mention certain studies suggest that talking to one's self,helps clarify thoughts, and set out decisions, it could also be seen as a sign of intelligence. I for one talk to myself under my breath all the time when I'm working on something. I pace like crazy when I'm at home and I'm trying to brainstorm or think of something. Most of my best story ideas are fleshed out while pacing.

I agree with all of these, unnecessary touching, over familiarly to soon, probing questions, unseen agendas, and such make me very uncomfortable. I also tend to pick up on vibes, imprints, whatever you want to call them about people.

There`s nothing neccesrly wrong with being touchy feely or being the blabbermouth who talks about everything to people they`ve just met it`s just not everyone is comfortable with that type of thing. My mother fits both of those, and she`s not trying to be too creepy or probing she just is that way, but it makes me uncomfortable just wacthing her tell all this stuff to random people due to my own closed offenses when it comes to the general public

Seraph751 likes this.
  23. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Hey! Are you calling me a blabber mouth?!
    I'm not, I'm just someone that shows an interest in people, and often people talk to me because of it. I like humans.

I was only half kidding about the touchy feeling too. People aren't creeped out by me since I'm not an intimidating person.

I'm actually very sensitive to people and the signs they give out since I am innately introverted with learned extroverted habits. Career demands a certain level of people skills. They didn't come easily. ;-)

24. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

What creeps me out: Cockroaches. ;)

Also, people who are very very quiet, but in a way where they also have a lot of anger/tension boiling under the surface. Moody, silent, sulky types make me super uncomfortable. Also, people who are extremist bordering on delusional -- i.e. conspiracy nuts who truly are afraid of the world, or religious fanatics who are extremely paranoid about devil influences.

Oscar Leigh and Seraph751 like this.
  25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't enjoy being around people who don't share my concept of personal space. You know ...the bus is nearly empty but they choose the seat beside you and start talking. Or when they walk with you they're constantly banging into you. When they talk to you they stand or sit just a little too close for the status of your relationship. I never know if this is deliberately intimidating behaviour, or if they're just unaware, but either notion makes me back off, if I can.