1. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Describe this picture for me?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by The Elder One, Sep 26, 2016.

I would use this description, but maybe something more detailed can help:
    "A beautiful woman with long dark brown hair, shining hazel brown eyes and a very light golden tone skin."

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    She is a coffee haired beauty, with fiery bronze eyes, and a smooth radiant cream complexion.

Her alabaster smooth skin, she is a sight. With long dark walnut locks and lively bronze eyes.

Ok, I am all out of coming up with fun colour words. :p

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Her eyes told of Moorish lovers in southern Spain. Her hair was the night spilling over Arab sands.

4. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

By any reasonable measure, she was no more than a beautiful woman fussing with a misbehaving earring. But that she turned her glance to me, and while the Gods held their breath, I spilled my wine.

AASmith, Cave Troll and Wreybies like this.
  5. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

I love the ones everyone posted. Very creative. I will definitely borrow things from them. If anyone still have any neat ideas, I'm open to them. If it helps, the Main character meets her in the opening Gala event of a Hotel in Lebanon.

6. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I'd only ever seen beauty like that in French movies.

matwoolf likes this.
  7. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

"Dat ass tho..."

8. Wreybies

Don't take this as too much of a remonstration, but you really do need to learn how to come up with these things on your own depending on what you are trying to achieve with the description. Are you looking to just fill a checklist of items like creating a character in a video game, or are you looking to give an impression of some character's engagement of her upon first sight? Do they know one another already? Is the other person a man, a woman, str8, gay, single, married, is the character the POV character in 1st person, or the disembodied narrator of 3rd person omniscient? All these things will come into play. You need to learn to navigate these waters of description in order to make your piece your own.

9. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

No offence taken. I am here to learn, after all. It's just that I can learn more by example than by theory. These descriptions of varying styles can allow me to dare a bit more or be more conservative, should I feel the need. I already have a load of ideas based on the ones posted here, which will incorporate the details you described.

Now, answering the question itself, the character that sights her for the first time is the MC of the story, written in 3rd person limited.

10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

WIP

The child appeared at the reception, perhaps nineteen, twenty years old, [and] frail like a puppy, she fiddled - glue ear or perhaps an infection? She wore a dress, the dalmatian blobs patterned over ruby background. 'Ew,' she cooed at the lips, 'punch, I love punch,' and dipped those filthy, dirty little fingers into the bowl.

'For god's sake!' cried Magnum from his observatory position, 'I really wanted some [of that] punch. Where's her mother?'

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. matwoolf

Or you could go:

Senorina Vesta de la Palma del Sol, seventh daughter of Cecelia, herself the seventh daughter of Cedirica, founder of the colony stepped from shadows, her vision intoxicating in its beauty, a panther of the daytime. The officers, regimental men spied her grace, her sashay across marble, gripped their swords in sheaths, each one desired her more than any exotic fruit such as Kiwi fruit, or mango, or a banana.

Also wip

Cave Troll, The Elder One and Malisky like this.
  12. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I think you nailed it. Hahahaha!

matwoolf likes this.
  13. Wreybies

Must note, I read this in the voice of Ricardo Montalban. Could there be any other? ;)

matwoolf likes this.
  14. matwoolf

That's the voice - the book would be the bloody book - difficult book - GG Marquez, 100 Years of Solitude...I would like to - try, copy some of his famous magic realism style...should go read a page, then give it a whirl.

That's my nomination for the competitions - all magical and purple. The month after we go Orwell terse.

Wreybies likes this.
  15. matwoolf

I'd only seen them beauty like that in a French movie. The way she pursed her mouth. I got to thinking she was kissing me all over in Paris, or in Tijuana. One day I knew, I would get myself a girl like that girl: pretty, and smelly and clean, and good and soft in the man-handling, heh heh.

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

tell me bout the rabbits george.

matwoolf likes this.
  17. matwoolf

Hey Aaron, there these rabbits, Momma and Daddy rabbit, and they are always kissing and cuddling in the rabbit kitchen, and laughing, and up skips junior rabbit, he looks a lot like you, they all hug together, squeezing, and sometimes they sing rabbit medleys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Rabbit.jpg

Malisky and matwoolf like this.
  19. sarah_we

sarah_we New Member

Her eyes met mine across the hall as she was adjusting her earring. She was a sight to behold with dark brown hair curling across her shoulders and framing in her face. It contrasted perfectly with the fair complexion of her skin. Her gaze was fierce and full of promises and my heart started beating faster of its own accord.

20. Grub-r

Grub-r Member

Laughter erupted in the spaces between where I tried to catch my breath. I could't remember the last time I'd had so much fun on the dance floor. I made my way back to my table, sitting now I reached underneath to find the space below empty. In a panic, I almost tore the tablecloth clean from the table as I search in vain.

Twisting from the table, I scanned the crowd for an answer, for a culprit.

There! The man in the white tee, clearly dressed down for such an occasion. He had my shoes!

I moved to intercept when some hag in a passé animal print gown abruptly stopped in my path to deal with some malfunction to her gaudy wardrobe accutrements.

This isn't over, Pump-pilferer.

21. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Beautiful women tend to have a fragile, eager-to-please air, a consciousness of being ornamental. Jane is indeed ornamental--model-beautiful with pale-gold skin, a hank of dark hair, striking dark brows, the classic cheekbones, all the usual. But it's the fierce eyes beneath those brows that define her. Those eyes make you watch your step, and you suddenly find that you're the one who's eager to please.

22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Marisol spotted the PETA operative as she adjusted her earpiece. White male, early twenties, bearded, with dreadlocks poking out from beneath his porkpie hat. He was certain to be drawn in by her intent gaze, carefully groomed brow, and the tumble of dark hair that fell past her shoulders. As a failsafe, she'd worn the skin of the last red-coated leopard to exist in the wild. She pressed the tip of her forefinger against the earpiece and muttered "Contact."

ChickenFreak and sarah_we like this.
  23. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

She was exactly the kind of refugee I had dreamt of taking in.