1. godsandgenerals4ever

godsandgenerals4ever New Member

Verb confusion?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by godsandgenerals4ever, Oct 20, 2011.

The grammer checker on my writing program just tagged this sentence bit in a story of mine as having "verb confusion." The bit in question goes like this:

"here comes the flak."

Just how is that "verb confusion"? It is a statement that makes sense, but then again, I admit I am a little rusty on the whole verby thingy.

2. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I don't know. It looks fine to me. But grammar checkers are notorious for giving bad advice.

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    My guess is that the grammar checker thinks "flak" is plural.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Don't use grammar checkers. Learn proper grammar yourself. Grammar checkers steer you wrong as often as they steer you right. I turned off my grammar checker and spell checker years ago and never turned them on again. My grammar is pretty good and I know more words than the Microsoft dictionary.

5. Raki

Raki New Member

Grammar checkers aren't all bad. Occasionally, they'll find typos and whatnot that you've missed, but the majority of the time, they are highlighting things that don't need to be highlighted. If you aren't well-equipped with knowledge of grammar, they can have you second-guessing yourself all day.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

your best grammar/spell-checker is your brain!

don't ever rely on a program to do it all for you...

7. JGHunter

JGHunter New Member

Flak is both plural and singular... maybe that has something to do with it? The grammar checker should really have been coded better. Like the others have said, experience makes you a much better grammar checker than a program.

8. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I checked Merriam-Webster and it says "flak" is plural, no mention of singular. That's weird. I might disagree with it there and say it's both, as well, because "Here come the flak" sounds about as natural as "Here come the judge."

9. JGHunter

JGHunter New Member

Lost, I believe that is because even when it is singular, it is plural. Like sand. You don't have a sand, and you don't have a flak. You have flak/sand, or some flak/sand.

10. walshy12238

walshy12238 New Member

Yeah, don't rely on grammar checkers, just figure it out for yourself.
    (It looks fine to me by the way)

11. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't say. The Longman Dictionary of Spoken and Written English says that "flak" is an uncountable noun, which is consistent with how I would use it (I wouldn't speak of "two flak", which is what plural would imply, but in the sense of anti-aircraft fire I might say "two pieces of flak tore through the wing"). Maybe this is a US English / British English issue, but it looks as if US writers who put "here comes the flak" can trust the UK and Canada to come to their defence.

12. architectus

architectus Banned

This site is lagging so badly. It took me several tries just to get any page to load, and then several more just to make a post. There is nothing wrong with the sentence. I don't recommend turning off spell checker, though, as it does catch typos.