1. DrSprinkles

DrSprinkles New Member

need creative ideas for color meanings

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by DrSprinkles, Dec 27, 2013.

I need help pairing colors with attributes of human emotions. for example green=greed, and blue=benevolence. I need the first letters of each word to be the same. if you could provide examples of what you think are the best fitting attributes of each of the following colors( green, blue, red, yellow, orange, purple, white, black, and grey). this is purely creative so just write whatever "your" opinion is. thank you very much.

ps: I am writing a book and each chapter will be titled as a color+ attribute

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but that would be my book, not yours. You're writing this. What feelings does each color evoke for you?

There's no right or wrong answer. There are cultural pattens (white symbolizes purity in European countries, and so it is favored in weddings; In Korean culture, whote is the color of death and mourning - not a wedding color!) Is green the color of life and growth, or is it the corpse-light of decay, the poisonous glow of Kryptonite and evil magic?

You have no book without your interpretation. Unleash your own imagination!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If you sail up the East River from New York Bay, you will pass under two bridges in quick succession that connect Brooklyn with Manhattan. The first, the Brooklyn Bridge, was designed by John Augustus Roebling and is highly regarded as one of the most aesthetically pleasing bridges in the world. The second, the Manhattan Bridge, is a nondescript, utilitarian structure that, if it is recognized at all, it is because subway trains run over it. It was designed by committee.

Writing by committee is about as productive as designing bridges by committee.

What @Cogito said.

Tesoro likes this.
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all said above!

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think a thesaurus might be a better source for what you are asking. There has been some research that certain wall colors can affect people's moods, but you are looking for ways to title the chapters you want to write. Those two paths don't seem to intersect.

6. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

Why not work things out so the content of your story in each chapter ties a color to a human trait or emotion?

I never saw Sister Kathryn when she wasn't wearing her black habit. She was the most benevolent and loving creature God ever created.

Or: My Uncle Charles wore nothing but black shirts. Didn't matter what color the suit was, the shirt was always black. He was the most boring human being I ever saw in my life.

Or: When Aunt Clarice came to visit, she was usually wearing black gloves. That seemed right, because she hated all black people. She wore her bias like a badge of honor.

Or: My fourth grade teacher, Miss Thurman, had black hair that was long, flowing and glossy. She always looked like she just came from the hairdresser. She was the most beautiful woman I ever saw.

Colors maybe be culturally associated with certain traits, but you don't have to follow that. You can make a connection (in the reader's mind) between any color and any trait you choose.

7. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

red/rage, yellow/ummm...yearning?, orange/obstinance, purple/prudence or piety or pettiness, white/weakness, black/bravery, and grey/graciousness or gluttony ... those were the first that came to mind.

8. hvb

hvb Member

I am a textile artist and recently did 12 works in the colours of the colour wheel. (one is on the left). I have also done a series on the major arcana of the Tarot. For both projects I researched colour and I can tell you, there is so much available from so many different cultures, you head will spin! There is also an emotional colour wheel on the net somewhere, which my fellow artist used for her colour wheel.
    My point: take you time to do the research.
    I love the idea of each chapter being the name of a colour.
    Oh, and don't forget the paint manufacturers give some fancy names to the colours of their products!
    Eventually what you will choose will reflect your own creativity.
    Good luck.

9. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

As a fan of Green Lantern comics, I say the colors speak for themselves.