1. unknown555

unknown555 New Member

Describing Unknown

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by unknown555, Oct 3, 2010.

I am currently writing a novel. Well, early stages, putting idea's together. Its basically a post-apocalyptic theme.
    My main character resides in a shack. In the middle of nowhere. Not knowing where exactly he is or what to call where he lives.
    Any tips on creating this world of unknown for my main character.?

Thank you.
    SJ

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Give vivid descriptions of what he DOES see/hear/etc. The reader will get it that he doesn't know if you describe the setting -- and him -- well enough.

I really like dystopia/post-apocolypic fiction, btw. Can I check the scene out once you write it? I can offer suggestions as well.

3. unknown555

unknown555 New Member

thanks :) yes i'd appreciate if you could look at it sometime.while i dont want to spoil the scene for you, what you said, what he see's and hear's will play a big role. As i think im going to exaggerate every sound and visible thing, I want to create mystery and divert the reader from what is really happening. The ultimate twist/reveal. I want to create a series of events that will lead the reader to thinking they'v come to a satisfied conclusion. When they couldnt be more far from the truth. I will have a steady theme existing throughout. But the ending will show way to something a lot different.:)

4. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

To build on what Mallory said, maybe get into his thoughts on what he sees as well. How does it make him feel? Anxious, curious, defensive, paranoid etc...

1 person likes this.
  5. Kolten

Kolten New Member

This states it quite well.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I would suggest that you make sure YOU know where he is - have a thorough understanding of what and where you are writing about.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lee Shelly

Lee Shelly New Member

I'm a pretty imaginative person, but I get stuck on settings. On seeing the place I'm writing about in my head. I try, but I'm more into my characters than the setting, and it hurts my writing. So here's what I do.

You ever play Magic? Remember those land cards, if you did? I keep a stack of them, hundreds of them, at my computer. I got them for free at a local gaming store, no one wants lands, they're even cheaper than a dime a dozen. Every time I need a setting I flip through them, getting ideas for forests, or cities, or desolate wastes, or anything else I could possibly need. I don't copy the scene right off of the card, of course, but they're wonderful for trying to get a picture in your head. I can find several that match the middle of nowhere in a post apocalyptic world right here at my desk, and I find that once you can see a place in your head, you can hear it and feel it and smell it too.

Good luck with your setting!

8. unknown555

unknown555 New Member

Really appreciate all the comments:)

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Watch Time Team - the combination of Tony Robinson the guy asking questions and the academics works really well for this. The purpose of archaeology is to describe and discover the unfamiliar.