1. nuwriter*me

nuwriter*me New Member

Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by nuwriter*me, Mar 11, 2011.

Is there a clear distinction between fact and fiction? Or, in your opinion, does fact inform your fiction? Is there ever a time where you get too close to fact that complete separation from it is necessary to the point that you lose integrity of the character? Just curious.

Ciao

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Yea, there is a distinguishable line between fact and fiction. If you think it is as difficult as you say, then you are looking too hard.

Nonfiction is generally a piece of writing that is meant to be informative, and presents its information as fact. This presentation may be accurate or not, depending on the information available at the time.

For example: the planet Pluto. Some day scientist will decide once and for all if Pluto is actually a planet or a giant ball of gas.

Fiction is writing that is meant to be fantasy (fantasy as in fake, not the swords and sorcery one). It may have basis on factual events, but the story told is not meant to represent specific people or events. It is a made up story.

For example: You could write a World War II story where Hitler gets helps from aliens in battling the Allies. The people, places, and history involved may be real, but the story does not represent what actually happened in WWII.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course there is... if it happened, it's fact... if it didn't, it's fiction...

that's an 'of course!' too... how else could anyone write fiction?... while imagination come into play here and there, even that is 'informed' by fact to some extent...

sorry, i've no clue what you mean by that...

4. katica

katica New Member

Fiction is always related to fact . . . if it's written well. Good characters are characters that you could imagine being a real person. The better you understand real people and what makes them unique, the more you can make a believable character. And it's easier to suspend the reader's disbelief if you relate it enough to reality for it to almost seem real. My life experiences and knowledge in general have taught me how to be a better writer, just on their own. In fact, sometimes I thank life for the interesting (and sometimes awful) experiences it gives me because someday, they will probably turn into inspiration and enhance one of my novels someday. Same with college. Some things I've learned there have helped me develop parts of my stories: like using science to help make a better magic system for my necromancers.

5. nuwriter*me

nuwriter*me New Member

A good response. Thanx