1. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

Description Game

Discussion in 'Word games' started by T.N.Korgan, Jun 25, 2011.

Fairly simple game. Describe the object in the post above yours then offer an object for someone else to describe.

I'm going to start by describing my lucky bear.

It slumps against the lamp, green as the grass out the window. Around it's neck hangs a single four-leaf clover bracelet. I like to pick it up and squeeze it's velvet paws when I think of him. It evokes in me a longing for a simpler time. I kiss it's glass nose, taking in the scent of love's past. I replace it, trying to keep it from slumping only for it to stubbornly refuse.

That's actually a bit more than I intended to write, but this is a game to practice descriptions. Enjoy!

The first word: Dog

2. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

The old golden retreiver's tongue hangs out of it's mouth, and I can hear it breating heavily. It has been a faithful friend for years, but the fur is loosing it's color, and I can tell he's struggling to keep up when we go for long walks up the mountain path to the cabin. But it still has a spark in it's eyes and show great signs of happiness and life, and we both know we will have many happy days when we reach the cabin at last.

Helicopter

3. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

I had to brace myself as the air began to stir violently. The head set I wore fought the sound raging in the winds but still the roar of the engine meet my ears. I tried to watch the helicopter land on the roof, but the glare of the setting sun blinded me. I did my best to direct the massive metal machine while tears fell from my unseeing eyes. This would be the last time I forgot my sunglasses. The rooftop shuddered as it was met with the new weight. The doctors shot past me, emptying the guts of the aircraft of it's contents. I ignored the bleeding body that rolled into the building. Running to the now silent vehicle, I helped the rest of the crew devest the helicopter of the reminder of it's last occupant. As soon as we finsihed, the alarm signaling another emergency went off in our headsets. With a groan the engine started, heaving it's body off the roof for it's next mission.

Fishing

4. Word Dancer

Word Dancer New Member

He cast his line into the muddy lake and smiled. Holding the rod with one hand he grabbed a sandwich with the other and took a bite. It was a pleasant spring day and there was nothing but time to spare. He didn't catch fish every time he came to the lake, but that was alright. That wasn't the point. Peace and quite and the warm sun on his back and his feet in the water was the point. This routine was his weekly sanctuary from all the problems of life. Here nothing else mattered.

A meteor shower

5. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

The broke the sky, shaking the ground around him. He never though something so dangerous could be so beautiful, giant luminous balls of fire and rock. It was worth the danger and risk to come and watch the shower. Sitting there he gazed at a meteor wondering how it was getting so big. And then it hit him...

Death

6. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Tattered robes, clamy skin that could have benefited from a tan. Tall, but his posture needed a slight readjustment.

Babuskha

7. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

My babuskha sat in the rocking chair, clicking her needles together at a steady pace. I walked over to her with the tray of lemonade. Smiling I handed her the cold glass, as she placed her work in her lap. I took in her scent as the wind blew it towards me. It rang of old summers causing mischief and warm winters nursing the family. I would never forget her grin. Though toothless, it seemed to make her wrinkles disappear.

Library

8. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

It's a rare thing, to breathe deeply and to be able to smell the past, the present and the future all in one instant. The scent of older volumes of dusty, leather bound texts found in the historical archives and over a century old mixed with the fresher, more recent editions that were more readily accessible throughout the nearly ancient library.

Ocean

9. Word Dancer

Word Dancer New Member

It seemed endless. Dark blue water beneath me and a bright blue sky above. As I looked down at the water I felt as though it would suck me in, it was calm and no fish were in sight.

Classical music

10. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

I lean back in the chair as the record player drifts the music through the air. I close my eyes and let the music guide me. The bass beats my heart for me while the violins push air gently into my lungs. The brass instruments create vivid reds and yellows that swirl through the ait battling for domanice. And softly in the background, a piccolo skitters to and fro, trying to evade the saxaphone.

orange

11. Inattentivepiglet

Inattentivepiglet New Member

He regarded the tree with trepidation, daring to creep forward. Was this it? The tree was man height with a full verdant crown. Nestled in the leaves was his prize. It wasn't gold so much as something more novel and delightful to the senses. A roundish fruit with a waxy mottled skin. It smelled luscious, and crisp. Truly this was worthy of the pantheon. It bore the distinct mark of heavenly intervention. The gods manifested this color combining the yellow of the high sun with red blood of champions to make this treasured orb. Prize in hand, Paris crept away into the night.

Horse

12. Word Dancer

Word Dancer New Member

The animal galloped away from me. It was athletic, beautiful and fast. It's rich brown hair and the white stripe on it's head made it hard to miss, and it's speed and agility made it hard to catch.

Suitcase

13. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

A suitcase lies on a bus' front seat, filled with personal products and clothing. The brown luggage can carry no more. Mike enters the bus, adds a pair of jeans in it. Then Jason. A driver picks it up, struggles to close it. Three more people fail to close its door. How can we add so much things to our lives that we can't handle it?

A sleeping person

14. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hey, awesome, I was thinking of starting a thread like this but I see someone thought of it first. :D

He slumped over in the bus seat, drool dripping off of his slack bottom lip, leaning over to the empty seat next to him. A deep, rumbling snore ripped through the silence unexpectedly, causing the other tired travelers to jerk upright.

An unknown monster gaining on a person in the woods

15. Word Dancer

Word Dancer New Member

I heard the loud, quick gait of the beast behind me. I had no idea what was chasing me, but it wasn't human. And it was getting nearer. Aside from the fear of what would happen when it caught me I was curious what it was. But I dare not turn back. The split second I would lose could mean the difference between life and death. And dodging the trees ahead of me made staying ahead even harder. The monster roared. It was like nothing I've heard before. It wasn't a bear, it wasn't a wolf. I had no idea what it was, but it was getting closer.

Landing on a new planet.

16. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

The red dwarf star was half hidden behind the planet's curved orange-tinged atmosphere which fluttered in neon- like iridescent glory as lightning crisscrossed from cloud to cloud and starwind excited the atoms at the poles causing a borealis effect.

"Beatutful isn't it Mara?" I uttered nervously.

"The eternal romantic!" she emotionlessly entoned as the barren windswept emerald-duned plateau below us began filling the screen at impact velocity.

"Perhaps the planet intends to swat us away like some insignificant annoying fly." she chortled.

And so it seemed. But the familiar hull vibrations of retrorockets spoke otherwise.

"Very clever Mara!" I said calmly trying to hide my growing concern.

"Afraid?" Mara entoned mechanically as she swept the ship just a few feet over the dunes, hovered momentarilly and finally set us down with a hard hull-wrenching thud.

stuck in a falling elevator

17. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

The floor suddenly leaves the soles of my feet, and for a moment I fly. It only takes seconds to realize that the snapping I just heard was the cable giving way. I don't hear the scream as it melds with my friend's, but I feel it, deep inside my constricting chest. As terror rips through me, my stomach tries to do the same. I'm thankful I hadn't eaten lunch yet. I reach for the hand bars, aching for the useless anchor. Once more, I wish my office wasn't on the top of this skyscrapper. I long run out of air, and in gasping sobs, I relive everything I've done and yearn for a chance to live to do everything I only dreamed of. After what feels like eternity and yet not, the floor stops and I watch as it comes to greet me.

The view of the elevator from the medic, resucer, or bystander

18. Brandogg12

Brandogg12 Member

(I am assuming the character in the last post was on the bottom floor and the rest of the elevator doors are closed. My character's view of it assumes he is oblivious to the fall.)

He leaned on his hands which were propped atop his erect cane and winced. He was just getting too old and there was nothing to be done. His doctor said the aches and pains were natural and that rest and relaxation were the best medicine for him, along with a modicum amount of exercise; yet,the thought of the stairs this morning made his hairline dampen and his bosom pound.

He rubbed his rheumatic hands and reached for the up button. It glowed briefly, but he did not hear the beep followed by the swinging open of the steel contraption, nor did he hear the line pull the box up or down. He pressed down and was rewarded with silence and nothing more.

He assumed it was just a busy day, but after pressing each button a few more times he assumed it was out of service. It was a good thing he was on one of the middle floors and only had to ascend a few flights.

“Oh well, must just be a glitch,” he muttered to no one in particular, “Nothing I can do. I’m just an old man. You can’t do this Rick- No Rick sit down. Rick? What are you doing out of your chair? What do they know?”

The self-fulfilling remarks continued until he mustered enough courage to face the stairs.

Your favorite meal.

19. Radrook

"First you need green plantains.

Order them.

Fry them.

Crush them in mortar and pestle.

Mix them with bits and pieces of fried pork rind and olives.

lightly salted

lightly sprinkle

with

pepper

garlic

onion

Grace it with virgin olive oil.

A sensory pathway to 12th dimension via taste!" the short, potbellied, moon-base installation chef cautiously whispered after I asked what the word "mofongo" on the menu meant.

=========================================================

Waking from suspended animation state.

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

"Just relax, Mr. Cradshaw."

The perky tech smiled down at me, and I smiled back. She looked Asian or Polynesian, with lips I wanted to taste. "There might be room in here for both of us."

She laughed, like music, or a bubbling mountain stream. "Pleasant dreams, Mr. Cradshaw." She closed the lid, and the sigh of the hermetic seal echoed my own.

The lid hissed opened a moment later. "Change your mind?" I asked. But the face looking down at me was a different one, a thin-faced man with a beak of a nose and a scowl. Was I in trouble? Did I violate sexual harassment statutes? I began to panic. They booted me from the program, for one suggestive remark. I opened my mouth to protest, but no sound came out.

"Just relax, Mr. Cradshaw. It will take a few seconds for the effects of cryosleep to wear off."

Skydiving from low orbit.

21. thatguy

thatguy Member

The many layers of the heat shield, outer suit, inner suit and eyewear made the atmosphere look like a slow moving smudge of bright colours, though I traveled through it as fast as any meteor brave enough to challenge our planet. I had spent sixteen months in suit training to make this jump, sixteen months of preparing for the worse case scenario. If everything went to plan, however, I had just spent well over a year of training to keep my back straight and my legs slightly bent. The suit would do the rest.
    Things seemed to be cooling down, I was getting close. I looked down and read the display board, heard my anchor man over the radio and gave him the correct response. Any second now…
    Finally the heat shield retracted and split into pieces behind me, no longer blocking the view in front of me, and then our planet revealed herself to me in a way I can’t compare to any other Earthly experience. Hundreds of jumps in the Airforce, dozens in NASA, months of station time… Nothing compared to this. This was the moment of my life.

---

Shark attack!

22. KingEnthusiasm

KingEnthusiasm New Member

He rolled in the waves, desperately searching for up.

The water against his ears sounded like echoes of slowly marching ghosts.
    Bubbles floated out of his nose. He needed air.

A large torpedo shaped silhouette slid past the light. He decided that must be up and the surfboard he had fallen from.
    As he paddled, pulling and kicking down frantically, the torpedo shape turned to face him.

"That's not my board...", he thought.

He was inches from the surface when the fish wrapped its mouth around a fat thigh and yanked him back down. He screamed bubbles.

A child in bed on Christmas Eve.

23. Radrook

Jimmy's mother gently tucked him in for the night with a huge hug and a soft kiss.

"Go to sleep sweety!" she said softly caressing his ruddy cheek with the back of her hand. "Santa won't come here unless you do!"

It had been a day full of family gatherings and emotions and the melodies of Christmas carols and images of the brightly-decorated tree kept Jimmy awake for a while. But then pressing his teddy bear close to his chest, he slowly drifted into sleep while listening for the jingles of bells that would mean Santa and his reindeer were near.

An obese man trying to rise from his bed.