1. Arron Albert

Arron Albert New Member

Please help me pick a name?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Arron Albert, Jan 27, 2013.

The story I'm working on currently is a sci-fi oldie, the cryogenic ship launched away from the dying world to preserve the last of the race. But I can't decide on the name for the ship. I'd had it narrowed down to either The Horizon, or The Pioneer, but the people I talked to reacted unenthusiastically, without offering any other ideas. So what do all you lovely smart people out here think a spaceship carrying humanity's last hope ought to be called?

2. johann77

johann77 Member

Some where between there and over there, I'm aro
    In time you will figure that out.

3. Arron Albert

Arron Albert New Member

Anybody have an actual suggestion?

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Whatever you want it to be called. That's my suggestion.

That's a big detail of your story... do you really want to leave it in the hands of strangers? Pick a name that you like and don't worry about other people... They aren't writing it, you are.

5. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

The Cronus Pod.

Named for the Greek God Cronus who sired children by his sister, Rhea, and ate each of his children as they were birthed. The same one who later would be duped by his son Zeus into drinking a concoction that forced him to regurgitate all the children he'd eaten... Sort of makes him a grotesque seed pod. And it could be nicknamed the Pod.

Just my idea of what I'd name something like an old-timey sci-fi ship carrying the remnants of the human race.

6. AndyB

AndyB New Member

as its to do with space have a look at a list of space terms, astrological, star formations and the like i always liked 'The Copernicus' but that's just me.

being an astro term its easier for you readers to forgive it already being used in scifi and its a payoff for the geeks who get the reference

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Exercise your imagination. Let it percolate. You will come up with something in plenty of time. This is one of the smallest, least important choices you will make in creating a story.

Writing is not for those who give up and ask for help on the small stuff. It is a creative endeavor, and it's important to trust your creativity, without considering "parachute options."

8. Arron Albert

Arron Albert New Member

To be honest, the fact that it's a small, unimportant detail is the reason I asked for help. I'm keeping the big decisions for myself. Most things have their names, the characters are mostly finished, I've settled on the cause for the exodus and the main plotline etcetera. I just want some help thinking of a catchy name that I might not have thought of myself.

Everybody that's given suggestions, thank you.

9. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

You could always looks up different words for what the ship carries. You say it's a ship that's holding the last of a race?
    So maybe by launching this ship they had certain emotions in mind for what it would bring? Things like hope, survival, etc etc?
    They may not be the best for naming a ship, but they might lead you in a direction that can help you discover a name.

10. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-glossary.html

I agree it should be named something that sounds like it has something to do with space. Cronus was just the first thing that popped into my head. A man who ate his children only to puke them up eons later would be my personal, twisted way of seeing mankind 'carried' to another time/place/wherever whathaveyou.

I posted the URL above because it has some great Astronomy terms that could help inspire a name for the ship. Hope it helps ;)

11. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

The Mayflower (ship) was the first thing that popped into my mind. Since it's sci-fi Maybe you could play a bit with the latin name of the actual flower: Epigaea repens.

Latin always sounds good in my opinion.

12. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

that's not a question we should answer. As an author, it's up to you to come up with names or choose certain names. We merely read the story and like it or dislike it

13. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

Judging from the first and second like-responses, I'm pretty sure Arron Albert gets that it's up to the author to come up with their own name(s). I think Arron's just seeking sources for inspiration since his (her?) friends weren't helpful in providing creative food for thought. Seeking links to inspiration doesn't necessarily equate asking for a solid answer.

14. Arron Albert

Arron Albert New Member

Thank you Em_Anders, you've got it.

15. Arron Albert

Arron Albert New Member

Thanks everybody, I've decided on a name, Diaspora.

16. henmatth

henmatth New Member

Diaspora sounds good. How about MS Diaspora? Would this 2-word combination not make it appear more authentic?

17. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Writing is a solitary endeavor for a reason. A whole litany of items need to be taken care of by the writer. Things like ship's name, story line, plot, and a lot of others come from you the writer. The more outsiders are brought into the equation to more you pollute to waters. Besides, do you want to have to rely on everyone for everything you do or make it happen on your own? Most serious writers don't rely on others to come up with ship names. Hell, I've got six right off the top of my head for what you described and that took about two minutes.

There's a litany of questions I could ask, but I'm not going to get your head spinning on them.

18. AndyB

AndyB New Member

inspired by the above i think i have your answer - fits the plot like a glove as well

The Phoenix

a race fleeing from the asses of a destroyed society contained within to one day be reborn in the fires of reentry to their new home world

19. Thundi

Thundi New Member

How about 'The Forlorn Hope' . A people all alone in a desperate situation, hoping for deliverance.

20. Fun

Fun New Member

The name "The *insert main character's name here*" would be a good name for your story.

A ship built for preserving humanity would most likely be created in haste and the inventors would pay more attention to the functions and features rather than a name.

It could be possible that there is no name for the ship and people might just call it "the ship".

21. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

You could call the ship The Genesis - its apt for a new start.

22. cswillson

cswillson New Member

A ship launched from a dying world would be a ship that was already constructed and named.

There are rules for the naming of ships, depending on their use, i.e., battleships were named after states: Alabama, Missouri. Cruisers after cities: Chicago. Aircraft carriers were first named after Revolutionary War battles, Lexington, Yorktown, Cowpens, though they are now named after presidents: Reagan, Kennedy.

Find a level of importance you want to assign to this ship. Was it the most important type of ship of its time? Give it a grand name.

Was it just the last thing available? Give it a name that belies its importance.