1. MarshaR

MarshaR New Member

Design Thing's

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by MarshaR, Apr 29, 2009.

I have a question. Not really sure how to ask it. I need to find some designs for separators. They aren't really fonts so I am not sure what to call them so I can find some to use in the book I am writing. I am writing a devotional book. They look something like this:

[​IMG]

Do you know where I can find some to use? Thanks!

2. architectus

architectus Banned

I'm not sure, but for a manuscript you want to use one #, centered, or *. Some use three ### ***.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are writing the book, you don't need to concern yourself with that. The publisher deals with layout, typesetting, and illustration issues.

The standard for a maunscript is a single # symbol, on a line by itself. It does not need to be centered, unless the publisher specifies somethhing else for a "section break".

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Hmm, I thought it had to be centered. All the manuscript guidelines I have been checking out say to center the pound symbol. And in the manuscipt samples I found they were centered.

I'm not going to take the chances :p

5. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

If you are using MS Word, go to INSERT on the top of the page. Click on SYMBOL and it should give you plenty to look at.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

centering the # is the standard... your work won't be tossed if you don't center it, but it would show you know the industry norms, if you do...

marsha...
    fancy font 'separators' should not be used unless you're paying to have your book printed and must send the ms 'print-ready'...

if that is what you're doing, then check your font menu and take a look at the ones down at the bottom, that offer all kinds of 'symbol' type stuff... just be careful not to use one that can be read as a word in some other language's writing, such as the one you showed above might...