1. poetone

poetone New Member

Determined to improve my writing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poetone, Jan 14, 2008.

Hi Everyone,
    I've been eyeing this website, in particularly the forum sections, and I thought I would now take the plunge and become a member. I'll start by divulging a little information about myself, as well as my long term intentions. I have been working in the IT/Web industry for 7 years as a Web Developer, building small and large-scale websites. The work involves lots of coding/writing in HTML, JavaScript, etc. Although I write code, I don't get to exercise my English-writing, communication skills as much as I would like. In the past, I have taken writing courses, which have shown me the nuts and bolts of grammar, style, inner voice, etc, but I feel that once the class is over, I stop writing...

I’m looking for a long-lasting relationship with the “Art of writing”, and I think an online community is a great way to nurture my appetite. It will force me to communicate (by writing, as appose to speaking), which will prompt others to critique my work, while at the same time, protecting my privacy. I’m looking forward to meeting you all. ;)

-Poetone

2. Milady

Milady Active Member

Hi, Poetone. Glad you became a member. The more the merrier.

So you work on websites? I'm considering taking a course or two in programming or writing code, but I'm pretty sure I'd just be way over my head. So you have my respect already. :-D

So, wecome to WF, and I guess I'll see you around.

3. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello there and welcome to the forum, Poetone :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello poetone, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

It sounds like you have specific goals and expectations for the site, and I believe that will drive you to success.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. poetone

poetone New Member

Thanks Folks.

Cogito, point well taken; I will definitely look into the Review Room. I hope to be am major contributor to this online writing community.

Milady, let me know what programming classes you decide to take. I can be some help in that area.

6. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

That sounds to be a good base. Don't worry, challenges are the fun part of the journey. So enjoy them, and work harder for overcoming those which follow. Enjoy yourself in the process too, but never give up. Welcome to site, of course.

7. poetone

poetone New Member

Thanks, anthraxx

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Welcome to WF.org I hope that you have a most wonderful and pleasant time here with all of us.
    Torana