1. muckzulo

muckzulo Member

Developing Storlines?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by muckzulo, Dec 1, 2015.

So i have many storyline ideas but i dont know how to develop them.
    The storylinr ideas are: Rape, Racism, Affair, Religion and Murder.
    How do i start these storylines off.

For example; Rape storyline. Do i start the storyline with the actual rape of the character or do i build up to it? Like have the character go on dates with the guy and get to know the guy and meet his family and all that good stuff. I could do the build up but i fee like all that stuff would be boring to the reader and they would rather just jump right into the action.

Same goes for the other storylines. Do i start the storylinr of Racism off with the character being discriminated against? But where can that storyline lead to?

Same with affair and religion and Murder. Start the storyline off with actual affair/murder/ religion? Build up to it? Where coud they lead to?

any suggestions or help

2. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

My writing is subtle. In my first novel I deal with privacy, security, ptsd and corruption. I never come out and say, this is what is being dealt with. Instead i explore how these things effect the character and his arch, how it molds him into the person he is at the end. The ptsd for example is something he deals with from the first lines of the book with flashbacks and pain. the privacy and security is dealt with how the detective gather information and learn of corruption. I use issues from the real world and put them into the universe i have created, so the reader understands and can relate to the issues.

3. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

This all depends on your preference. Don't let any know it all on here tell you any different.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Start off by researching actual rapes.

My understanding (admittedly, this is based on nothing concrete, so I stand to be corrected) is that "date rape" is relatively unusual; that most rapes are crimes of opportunity against an unknown victim, so the whole "meeting the family" thing doesn't apply.

As far as how you tell the story, you could do it either way; start with the rape, almost as a prologue, and then go back and tell how it came about; or you could start by describing how ordinary the characters were...but suggesting that not all is as it seems, thus building up suspense - will a crime be committed? - will Julia Roberts manage to reach the gun and protect herself?...

5. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

It seems like what you have are subjects for stories rather than story lines. If you have a story line then you would basically have the story. I dont start my stories or develop my idea from subjects. My ideas are developed from either a line in my head or a character or a specific story line. I think you maybe focusing too much on the subject vs. a story. Perhaps as a PP said, you should talk to people who have been rape (unless of course you have knowledge about this already.) if these topics are personal to you then maybe base your characters on you or people you know. Of course you can still make it fiction. For me being inspired by personalities and characters really gets my creative juices flowing.

nastyjman and Tesoro like this.
  6. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

This is not true. 82% of all rape victims know their rapists so yes that includes a huge number of date rapes or rapes by friends and family.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yeah, I'm with AA Smith, these all sound like subjects or themes. Not really the start of a storyline. And, for me, if it's a theme you want you should find the angle for a story first. I don't come up with a storyline until I have a story idea.

For rape you might do some research to find out what you want to say about it. Maybe you want to do a story about frat house rapes, or wives who get raped, or you want to start with a woman jogging in a park at night and getting raped to have it become a catalyst for another theme exploring woman's vulnerability in the world or safety. Either way you have to brainstorm a little to get a less broad idea and that way you can narrow down things for your storyline and create some characters.

Cause if the subject is too broad you'll lose you're way and the storyline will take much longer to shape.

nastyjman and Tesoro like this.
  8. Siena

Siena Senior Member

This is where your theme and character change comes into it.

So with racism, you could start with the character being racist and ending having learned that that's the wrong way. Like American X.

It's just one option.