Developing writing skills

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by HellOnEarth, Apr 8, 2007.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Returning to NaNoWriMo again, this is something that's discussed occasionally there. I've even seen people suggest that you _not watch the words appear on the screen_ as you type them. This of course requires that you be a touch typist. :)

But even if you don't go so far as to type with your eyes closed, I would suggest trying the experience of completely separating the writing and editing process. Just assume that the initial writing _will_ be a rough mess, and don't go back. If you can't go back to fix typos and incorrect tenses without getting sucked into the trap of correcting everything, then don't even correct those while you're writing.

As one silly analogy, compare it to baking cookies. You don't demand that the cookie dough look good all the way through the dough-making process - when it's just ingredients in a bowl, it looks terrible. When it's half-blended, it looks even worse. But that doesn't matter - you only demand that the cookies look and taste good at the end.

So you could think of your first rapidly-typed-in words as the initial mess of ingredients, or the partly-blended dough. You'll get back to them and smooth them out later, but if you refuse to ever throw the ingredients in there and have an ugly phase, you're never going to get any dough to work with at all.

ChickenFreak

2. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

What prevents me from doing that kind of thing is that I'm not very good with putting my thoughts to words a lot of the time.

Like sometimes I know what I want to happen but I just can't think of the words to explain it, so I end up having to sit there thinking and thinking about how to say what I mean.

3. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

I just finished two and a half pages. I tried writing it without worrying about errors and then when I was done I went over it and tried to polish it but I come up with the same problem.

When I read R A Salvatore, I’m not reading, I’m there. I am Drizzt Do’Urden as he sneaks through the tree bows like the whisper of a shadow. I am Breunor Battlehammer riding a dragon down a chasm to it's doom. I am Wulfgar, wading into a tide of goblins.

I have started reading and when I looked up 4 hours and 200 pages had passed as if it were minutes.

When I read my story, I’m reading words off a page. Words that don’t particularly paint a picture in my mind and make me believe that this is a real world with real people.

I know, I'm comparing my "polished" rough draft to a finished work of a famous author. But still, it's frustrating.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

How does just writing what you want and then using a thesaurus work?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A thesaurus is a dangerous tool. It's fine to remind you of words you already know well, to find that perfect word that is just on the tip of your brain.

Too many people use it to insert poorly understood words only for variety's sake. The result is uncomfortable prose filled with subtly or grossly misused words.

6. Elgaisma

If someone with a lousy vocab, inability to use a dictionary and thesaurus is trying to write something they have more challenges than using the odd inappropriate word ahead. However a Roget's style one helps a little more with how to place a word than an A-Z one as it categorizes the words better.

7. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Yeah, I do have more challenges than that. But you have to understand that everyone has a story to tell, one way or the other.

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Don't sell yourself short. Sure, you have that "I'm there" experience when reading Salvatore's work, but I bet Salvatore doesn't. He has to go through the process of taking what's in his head and putting it on the page. You, as a reader, build your experience using his words as raw material. It's entirely different. You don't see the struggles he went through to highlight the right details, set the right tone, choose the right words to tell his story. You don't see the mistakes, the embarrassing missteps, the revisions. I'm sure he does. He may see his novels as barely-passable, as inadequate attempts to represent his story, but you as a reader see only the finished product and the satisfying fantasy it builds in your mind.

It's very difficult for an author to read his own work as a reader does. The author knows what he meant; the reader only sees what he wrote.

9. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

It's not so much about a single word as it is about how to phrase an action or series of actions.

Say I'm at a part where my character is sneaking up on an enemy camp to have a look around, I find it very hard to find the right words to use to convey it the way I want it conveyed.

@ minstrel: Thank you very much, that does help me a little. But it still frustrates me. Partly because as I said at the start of this thread, my early works came out exactly as I pictured in my head. Sure, I had to go over it a few times and even do some rewrites, but when it was done I would look at it and I was truly happy with it.

And it's not because I was young and now I'm better because I looked at some of it again when I was older and I remember looking at it and thinking "Man, that was a good fight scene."

10. Elgaisma

my point is if you put it in basic terms the best way you can its then easier to change words around, change the odd word etc As I said if you have ADHD your brain probably works like a helicopter and I find the best way to stop mine spinning is to get it out. Then I can work without it flinging around in my brain, its there on the paper.

Does that make any sense lol?

11. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

Yeah, actually it kind of does.

I do tent to worry too much about how the rought draft sounds. As if someone is going to be looking at it and saying "What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

I will give it another go and try to not worry about perfect wording.

12. Elgaisma

Thats what I did my first draft was awful - but I finished it. For first time in a long time I conquered my jittery brain. It was easier after that. Just only read it if you have too. Ididn't even read it to write my second draft

13. Darkranger85

Darkranger85 Member

I'll give it a try and post back how it went.

I want to submit it to the review board but I don't want to post up just any slop. I want to make sure it's at least gone over for major flaws.

How long is ideal for a submission? Is there a "too long"?

14. Elgaisma

I've put varying amounts, for a first draft I am happy to put up more. For my completed novel I am only putting groups of around 13 lines up.

I find about 1500 words gets you the best reviews anything more than 3000 isn't read lol I tend to post between the two if I just want general opinions.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

15. mani24

mani24 New Member

Hi all,

I am new in this forum and I want to improve my writing skills as early as possible.It would be really great if you people can guide me through it.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what kind of help do you need, mani?...

welcome to the forums!

love and hugs, maia

17. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Welcome to the forum. You might look around and see the things the site has to offer. Add your two cents if you want. Do read the rules, it will save you time and confusion.

18. mani24

mani24 New Member

Thanks maia,

Actually I want help like somebody can tell me what kind of mistakes I am doing in writing,how can I improve as quicly as possible.
    It would be really helpful if you can guide me like this way.

19. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Mani, the site rules are in place, please read them. You will find that you have to wait at least 2 weeks, and have at least 20 sensible posts and do a quality review of at least 2 other pieces in the workshop for every piece you post in there. If you try to post anywhere else, your thread will not be answered, and it will get deleted.

There are no short cuts, everyone is a subject to the same rules.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's what i do one-on-one for the writers i mentor, mani... drop me a line if you want to be a mentee... otherwise [or in addition], you can first fulfill the site requirements and then post excerpts of your work in the workshop section for other members to provide feedback...

21. mickaneso

mickaneso Member

I'm relatively new to writing. I'm curious as to what skills you're actually improving when you practice writing. Especially when you lack a writing group or someone to point out what you're doing wrong and what you can improve. I worry that even with a little practice every day I still won't improve. I worry that a year down the line I'll still be making the same fundamental mistakes that I'm making now. I'm still in High school mode were I need my English teacher to point at everything I'm doing wrong and tell me what exactly my problem is and how I can improve it.

So it's a little discouraging knowing I don't have something like that now. I wrote 300 words last night (trying to do a minimum of 300 words just to get myself in the habbit of writing everday) but I just don't see how the next 300 words or the 300 words in a months time will be any improvement. Am I developing skills without my weaknesses being pointed out?

22. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Self-editing is one of the most important skills a writer needs to develop. But it is definitely hard to learn when you're making 'mistakes' if you don't have some kind of guide. Besides a basic book on grammar, I would suggest starting with Allen Guthrie's Infamous Writing Tips, then look for writing tips by authors (not necessarily teachers). Also start reading/participating in crit groups online, such as on this forum. Nothing teaches you about writing like critiquing what others have done, and seeing what others say about it. Then take those things and look at what you've written. It takes time, but eventually you'll start editing some things automatically, and you'll know when to question others.

23. cuddles

cuddles New Member

I have a copy of The St. Martin's Handbook from my writing classes in college for basic grammar structure and double checking myself. Still occassionally use it to this day, although I've gotten to the point where I remember more of it from practice.

24. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I read my work aloud, a lot. Anything sounding weak and awkward , I rework.
    I have several writing books I keep at hand - the Elements of Style and How to write a Sentense - but nothing works as well as your own ear.
    Everyone, no matter how well they write, has a natural editor in them and can tell when something just doesn't sound right.

25. MeganHeld

MeganHeld New Member

I agree, the Elements of Style is a good book. I get emails from http://www.dailywritingtips.com/ which send me information that I didn't know and sometimes they offer quizzes. peachalulu is right, your ear is the best guide. Read your work aloud. If there is a mistake you will hear it. Also a good way to insert punctuation.