1. Xclusive

Xclusive New Member

Timeline, and culture?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Xclusive, Aug 11, 2012.

Nvm I found my answer, please delete this post.

2. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

I could see you writing a novel like that. I think you need to read more urban fantasy and epic fantasy though so you'll know more about those two genres you're talking about mixing.

Also you need to know what the effects of magic will have on your story world. If magic is common why do characters need vehicles when they can use magic to teleport? That's one example though. Maybe magic is hard to use and only the most skilled can do things like that? You need to know these things about your story world.

Another tip. You should know 100 times more about your story world then what you actually put into your novel, that way it will be realistic to the extent of being able to suspend disbelief.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Okay with whom?

No, I'm not being facetious. You say you're not much of a reader, and yet you want to write a novel. So, the question is, write it for whom? If it is simply an intellectual exercise, something for your own amusement or personal edification, than the answer is that anything you want to do is okay. No rules, because there are no consequences to violating them. On the other hand, if your answer is that you would hope either to write something that could be worthy of publication or to write the first in a series of projects that might at some point result in getting published, then I would say you have a lot of work to do, because your lack of desire to read is not likely to serve you well.

Since you want to write in the fantasy realm, you should at the very least read widely within that genre to get a sense of the range of what people read. You should probably also read in other genres at least a little, so as to understand and appreciate techniques that you can use. For example, there is a lot of crossover between fantasy and science fiction (and you've at least hinted that you may lean that way yourself). But you may also find some techniques in mystery writing, or romances, or techno, that have relevance for what you want to do.

Good luck.