1. Mike Cornelison

Mike Cornelison New Member

One thing I don't like about this place...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mike Cornelison, Apr 28, 2012.

One thing I don't like about this place is that I've never spent so much time trying to craft a perfectly worded post before. Other forums I've hung out at in the past, just let 'er rip and hit submit, but here? Oh man, I don't want to look like some rube coming in here without any skills amongst all these writer-type people.

It's just think it's funny that I'm spending a little too much time trying to craft my posts, but having a lot of fun and appreciating a lot of the replies already.

What a great place to hang out, very glad to be here.

2. Quentin David Jones

Quentin David Jones New Member

Gday Mike,

I know what you mean - I find myself thinking carefully about your vs you're and its vs it's and site vs sight etc.

But I agree it's a great site - and that's part of what this forum is all about - improving writing.

And the people are friendly - I made a newbie mistake and they were friendly and kind about it.

(Now I'm worrying that I use dashes too much - haha.)

Quentin David Jones

3. Mike Cornelison

Thanks for saying hello, Quentin. Those homophones - homophone mistakes seem to be directly proportional to typing speed unless you're really paying mind to them.

Seems like a good group and a group from which I can learn a lot. See you around!

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Mike!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself and Cogito) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

5. Mike Cornelison

Thanks for the welcome, Banzai. Are my fourteen days up yet? Oh shoot, still thirteen left to go.

Those are fair rules, I especially like the one about two reviews for every submission. We all know it's better to give than receive, but it does help to have a rule like to enforce it.

6. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Welcome to the forum. Remember this is a place with a lot of literary giants. It's mostly made of people trying to learn how to writing. Who don't want to show the rest up with perfectly written posts do you? You'd stand out like a sore thumb. Spend some time looking around and jump in when you feel like. Reading the rules helps. And make an error once in a while so the rest of us don't feel so stupid.

7. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

Theres no doubt its a gr8 sight!!!

I know what you mean about the quality of the writing in the posts here. It's definitely above average compared to 99% of other Internet forums I've visited. I suppose that's no surprise. Don't let that intimidate you though. I've seen plenty of errors and typos here too. It's like informal conversation: who speaks 100% perfectly when just talking?

8. Mike Cornelison

I like that advice, thanks and you've already given me some good pointers so I only hope somewhere down the road I can do the same in turn for others.

You're right, let me loosen up my tie and just relax a bit and enjoy. I have a feeling I'll be hanging out and doing some learning quite a bit here.

Thanks for the welcome both, it's good to be here!

9. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site Mike,
    It makes you think about what you are writing and that is a good thing. If you write too much carefree, lackadaisical stuff it will do your writing more harm than good.

I feel my writing has improved since I joined this site.:)

Hopefully one day we will all be:D all the way to the bank;)

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Wouldn't you say that about any place, from kindergarten to a cell block?

Personally I hate that honeymoon period. I never thought it was a good idea to profess I liked crocheting doilies and long walks on the beach just to make friends. I'm more of a "go find the schoolyard bully and get it over with" type.

Having said that, I'm also careful with my spelling and syntax. It's not often that you feel compelled to proofread a post in a forum--or even want to do it.

I will admit I did find a secret pleasure. I actually found a creative writing forum with a conservative owner/admin that is just as blunt as I am. I'm not learning a whole lot there, but when you want to blow some steam it's a great safety valve.

Welcome, Mike, if you have to rant, drop me a PM. ;)

11. Mike Cornelison

All the way to the bank!

I remember a line I heard about tennis, but it could apply to writing or anything, you play with people at a better level than you and it raises your game.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

"From kindergarten to cell block" - that's pretty good, although it's that second newbie mistake where you might see the big difference between the two.

It is kind of strange proofreading a post on an Internet forum, but it is one more way to sharpen the skills just a bit.

12. timsdream

timsdream New Member

That's hilarious. I joined the site yesterday and I swear I rewrote my post three times before I submitted it. I'm glad you didn't let it stop you though, because I have received more support in the last 24 hours than I have in the last 6 months. Welcome.

13. Quentin David Jones

Gday,

Yup,
    I have the similar 'edititis' - I rewrite and fix-up my posts after I submit them - I keep finding little errors, little glitches to fix or improve...

Quentin David Jones

14. Mike Cornelison

It is incredible how many people at this place and on the Internet in general are so willing to donate time to help the newbies along. When I got into programming, I learned more at Internet forums than I ever did from books. It's just an awesome thing to see when people have a true love for their craft that they're eager to help the eager new student along.

Great to hear you've been learning lots here and a good welcome to you as well.

15. Mike Cornelison

Kids, the word for the day is . . . "edititis", edititis - a feeling or compulsion that the way you've worded your thoughts could always be improved upon . . . wait, a compulsion or a feeling that your choice of words . . .

16. Quentin David Jones

Heh :)