1. Tangerinne

Tangerinne New Member

Hey y'all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tangerinne, Mar 31, 2016.

Hello from North Carolina! :)

Excited to be here and meet others that share the same interest in writing that I do. I am a 28yo transplant to NC from Wisconsin, working in Tech Support right now. I guess I'm lucky in that way since I get to work from home in my PJs taking phone calls all day. :D

Anyways, I used to write a lot when I was younger, and I do still journal (hand written and everything!). When I was in Middle School I even had a couple of poems I wrote published, but didn't progress beyond that. I grew up, and wrote less and less as life happened as it does to us all.

Now that I'm somewhat settled in, I have a boyfriend of two years now, and I've found myself more and more as of late wanting to reconnect with some of those old hobbies that I used to enjoy so much. I used to love playing instruments, reading, writing, and drawing. I've started picking up a book more lately, and now I want to try and get back into the habit of writing.

It would be amazing if I was able to one day make a living off of writing, but I'm not shooting for that per say right now. My immediate goal is just to get back into the habit of writing. That's why I've endeavored to journal more lately. I may not know what I want to write about, but I figure if I just put pen to paper and spew my thoughts out onto it, that it will become easier over time. Writing is like anything in that if you want to be good at it, then you need to make it a habit and practice make perfect. :)

In either case, I look forward to getting to know some of you just a little better as I participate in these forums. I also hope that I'm able to grow myself as a writer and learn from y'all too. Take care! :)

2. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

Welcome to the community. I am new to the site as well. Like you I did a lot of writing in middle school. I started writing stories at 12. My first novel at 13. Although it was ridiculously written and had no plot whatsoever, I just wanted to see if I could do it. And I did. Ever since, I would finish my school work and homework well before the other students so I would be able to pop out my notebook and continue on whatever story I was writing.

By the time I turned 20, I had lost all motivation to keep writing. And I wasn't as lucky as you. I didn't have the confidence to get anything published. After a while, I barely had confidence to finish a story. I never showed my work to anyone and only kept it to myself as I didn't think anyone was interested. I was a very secluded student.

I wrote and finished my first short story in 6 years last December and as I still have some doubts, with it still only being a first draft, I am still quite proud of myself. And hope to share it soon. Which is why I signed up for this site, to finally get my name out there somehow. If you'd like, I'd like to discuss the art of writing with you, as I don't have many to do it with. And if you write anything, I'd love to read it, too.

I hope you have a nice day,
    (I'm not too good at ending posts as I am ending stories haha)
    Elle

Tangerinne likes this.
  3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the funny farm ... both of you. I've met some really interesting people on this site and gotten lots of advice. Keep poking around the site, you'll find a wide range of topics going on. Don't forget the writing contests, they can be great practice for short pieces of work.

Tangerinne likes this.
  4. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

I'm looking forward to the writing contests. I'm ready for others to see my works. I just want to get used to the site first.

Tangerinne likes this.
  5. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

hello and welcome. Two new faces. Yay!

PassTheDrinks likes this.
  6. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

hi, welcome!

7. Tangerinne

Tangerinne New Member

I can definitely empathize with you, it's hard to have that confidence in yourself, but you've done the hard part in actually finishing a story so congrats! :) I would love to read it if you want to share at some point :). I only ever had some poetry from middle school published. Nothing really very good or anything :-D. My eventual goal would be that I would love to write a short story or novel. I love reading urban fantasy, so it would probably be something in that same genre. However, I feel like sometimes that any idea I have has already been taken up by someone else! :(

Anyways, I would for sure love to discuss any writing stuff with you, I need a circle of people that I can share and bounce idea off of I think :)

8. Tangerinne

Tangerinne New Member

I also just want to thank all of you for the warm welcome :). I would like to make it a point to come on here regularly and check out the different topics, it's almost overwhelming what all is on the home page :). Looking forward to getting involved :D