1. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs Member

Dialogue tag question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Ruth Jacobs, Jan 16, 2011.

I would appreciate advice on which is the right way to punctuate this dialogue tag please.

“There’s no way that happened. I know what you're trying to pull and you're failing miserably.” Despite her anger, Maria tried to whisper on the phone in the bustling station.

“There’s no way that happened. I know what you're trying to pull and you're failing miserably,” despite her anger, Maria tried to whisper on the phone in the bustling station.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

The first one. Because I don't really think that's a dialogue tag..isn't it usually [Insert name here] said, then that. I feel like something is missing. Despite who's anger? Maybe because this is only one part ^^;
    Hope this helped.

3. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I agree with Youniquee. Because you don't have ," she whispered or she said straight after the dialogue I don't think you need the comma, just place a full stop. Actually I think it would be better if you had.
    “There’s no way that happened. I know what you're trying to pull and you're failing miserably.” Despite Maria's anger she tried to...
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck :) :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You don't have a dialogue tag, you have two separate sentences. Therefore, the first is correct.

This may help: He said, she said - Mechanics of Dialogue

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the first is correct, but in the wrong place... the action must precede the dialog, to make any sense...

the second makes no sense at all, since it's not a dialog tag, so can't follow a comma... to make it one, you could do this:

all that other stuff can be dealt with separately...