1. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 Member

Did anybody lose motivation to write until they had their ending?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hanger_boy89, Oct 14, 2015.

Basically I've had a great story in my head for a while now, and every so often I keep making notes so that I don't forget little bits that I want to add in. But I haven't been able to work out how the book should end, and as a result I haven't actually put pen to paper yet to write any part of the book.

However, this morning it suddenly clicked. I have the perfect ending for my book, and it leaves it on a cliffhanger. Now, I have so much motivation to write it because I know exactly where to take the story and how to finish it! Has anybody else experienced this?

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, not exactly, no. But I can certainly relate to the feeling of excitement when you know your ending has just clicked into place. Sometimes doesn't happen till a writer is well along in writing the story, though. Why? Because writing changes things.

You spend a lot of time writing characters, interactions, scenes and events and they can start to take a different shape from what you originally intended. Sometimes your characters write (or change) their own stories as you guide them along. But whatever works for you. The important thing is the enthusiasm. If knowing your ending gives you enthusiasm, then you've found your motivation. Have fun!

Just be prepared for other ideas to creep in as you write. Develop an instinct for which of these ideas are better than your original. My own novel completely changed focus as I wrote it, and it's better for that. If a better idea for your ending (or anything else) comes along, don't be afraid to make changes. You can go back later on and edit the earlier bits so they fit.

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Happiegrrrl

Happiegrrrl New Member

Kinda sorta.... I had my story idea, and originally I had intended it to cover about a one decade span. I started writing and it became clear fairly quickly that my book would be a foot thick if I followed the story at the pace I was going. I was at chapter 24 when I realized I had covered only a few weeks time!

So, I decided to possibly make it a "part one" in a series. The story I'm currently writing will of course stand alone, but I hadn't come to a clear idea as to winding my way toward any specific closure. At about chapter 40, I began to worry that I would find myself in the dreaded "then this, and that, happened and now the story's ended" finishes. I absolutely DID experience blockage, but told myself to keep pecking away.

Which I have done. Now I am chapter 47 and the story started to wrap itself up very gently and nicely. I am still not completely sure how it will "end," but I do have the faith that in another dozen or so chapters I will be there.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

No, not really. And it wouldn't matter if my ideas came with an ending or not. Having written a few short stories and completed a few first draft novels I know that what I start with and what I finish with are two different things. I know a lot of writers don't work like that so whatever floats your boat go with it. I couldn't imagine starting a mystery without knowing the ending. Or even some quests.

I get motivated simply by idea. When I started my novel about a month ago - I had a idea for the ending - very vague though. But it's since changed and I now have a new idea which I fleshed out in a separate doc. For all I know I won't use either or. But I'm not going to sweat it. The characters go through so much along the way ( and I can be spontaneous - let's have them do this sort of thing ) that the old endings might not work. I try to keep my storyline pretty flexible.