1. Potaeyto

Potaeyto New Member

Did anyone like the Cursed Child?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Potaeyto, Feb 10, 2017.

On another forum i was banned for talking not so kindly about the Harry Potter series' newest addition. I can understand why but I was wondering If anyone actually enjoyed the book.

2. SimpleReason

SimpleReason Member

I am so out of touch with the series that I didn't even know about the new book. I'll check it out when I can.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Who cares...? o_O

Iain Sparrow likes this.
  4. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Wait, Twilight Lexicon isn't the only one that does this over a series? o_0

tbh I haven't read it. Everything has its critics, and even Harry Potter has small mistakes (like Dudley having a PlayStation in Goblet of Fire, but it was released after the start of the school year in GoF in Japan and late September of 95 in Europe). But unless your criticisms were fallacious I don't see it worthy of a ban...

5. SadStories

SadStories Active Member

I hated the Cursed Child too. It felt like reading a Harry Potter Disney ride. It was just lots of famous scenes from the original books either from a different point of view or mirrored with new characters, tied together by a thin, new story that left no impression on me. I'm sure watching the play was sensational though.

That Fantastic Creatures whatever movie was pretty good though. I'm looking forward to the next one.

6. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

I liked it. I did feel that some of the plot and scenes was just too fill it with magic and not actually necessary for the emotional story they wanted to tell, which I really liked!

7. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

From what I heard the issue was that people were expecting a book, whereas Cursed Child is basically just the script for the play. It doesn't really read like a book.

8. WaffleWhale

WaffleWhale Active Member

It actually is a script for a play. The play was being performed on whatever the British version of Broadway is. I think the problem was that reading scripts aren't as fun as reading books, just in general.

Also, it wasn't written by Rowling, so it was worse than the rest of the series. It kind of had a fan-fiction vibe.

I agree Fantastic Beasts movie was great though. Pumped for more with my boy Newt.

9. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

It's London's West End.

Also, from what I understand, it was written with Rowling as a consultant, not unlike the film's (she's unusual as authors go in that she's very hands on with works adapted from the series).