1. Crystal

Crystal New Member

Musical Poetry?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Crystal, Jan 23, 2013.

I've been reading Keats & have been curious, what's a good poet that is similar in some aspects to Keats? Just someone with a musical rhythm I suppose...Thanks, & I apologize if this was a bad post. You may delete if that is so.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Byron, Wordsworth, Auden, and Whitman. I haven't read much Keats so I may be a little off here.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

And W.B. Yeats, William Blake, A.L Tennyson, Robert Burns (if you can get past the written dialect), Edgar Allen Poe, and Henry Longfellow are also safe bets I imagine.

4. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne New Member

How about my two favourites - Percy Shelley and T.S Elliott. My brain is frequently blown by the amazingness of these two skeletons.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

And Coleridge too.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There are several great poets who wrote in languages other than English. Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Rilke, Brecht, Tagore, and Du Fu are some good choices.

7. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

To the poets already mentioned, I would add Robert Browning, and Christina Rossetti. And also Keats' own favorite, Shakespeare (Keats admired King Lear.) No list could ever be complete, and certainly not without Robert Frost. Then there are Sylvia Plath, Philip Larkin, Hugo Williams... On YouTube you will find several poets reading their own poems such as Plath, Sexton, Hughes

For the musical quality of poetry, there is of course music itself. Leonard Cohen first comes to mind. You could listen to country classics such as El Paso and Red River Valley for ballads. There is a CD on which several Irish artists recorded songs from the poetry of Yeats. In foreign poetry, look for the Rainer Maria Rilke music project CD. French singer Leo Ferre has recorded many French classic poems. Then you could explore the individual sounds of the language through the scat singing of Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and my favorite, Betty Carter.