Did you daydream as a child?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scribbledhopes, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sham the Ninja Turtle? ;) :p

2. Sham

Sham New Member

Maybe not. The first guys name would be Mark. He was a normal kid who lived in X Mirror City, some years in the future.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

My head was either in a book or in the clouds for all of my childhood, and it still is. I would be thinking up stories at the youngest age possible. Instead of being reprimanded, I was encouraged to keep dreaming by my 4th grade teacher (one of my biggest inspirations to this day). I always daydream -- sometimes during the most inopportune moments, too. :p

4. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

I daydream all the time, and had a very active fantasy life as a child. Overactive, one might say. I love to daydream but it's not like I have a choice. ;)

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Absolutely. And, as a child in parochial school in the 1960s, it made me extremely popular with my teachers. I still remember as a little mite being lifted out of my chair by my ear. Somehow, that didn't help me focus very much.

I still daydream (great way to pass the time on a crowded subway). Only now, I focus it on what I can use in my writing.

6. Panda

Panda New Member

Daydream as a child?
    I daydream now!
    All the time, about everything. I think it annoys people sometimes.
    This is the first time in a long time that I've been out of a relationship and OK with being just by myself, maybe because of all the daydreaming I do.

On another note -
    Does anyone have weird dreams? Like REALLY weird?
    Last night I dreamed that "I'm too sexy for my shirt" was the theme song to a horror movie entitled "Right Said Fred" in which Ashton Kutcher was the star.
    I hate Ashton Kutcher, and haven't listened to that song since Grade 7.
    Suffice to say, it freaked me out.

:)

7. DSR

DSR New Member

I remember day-dreaming a lot as a child, in fact my teachers would even write in my report card that I needed to focus more in elementary school. It probably is a result of me and my friends always playing games with our imaginations when we were young instead of playing hockey, basketball, or skateboarding like most other kids.

It even still affects me. I often catch myself daydreaming to the point where I have a lack of awareness of my surroundings haha.

8. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

They're quite common - Hypnagogia - i get quite vivid semi-hallucinatory experiences when i'm on the verge of sleep. From a shadowy detective type dressed in 1950's clothes stood (but completely black) in the corner of my room - I think that's the shadow people phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

Other times i've had distinct visual images of things like a fractal of open mouths - continually opening and then being replaced by another mouth within a mouth - continuing ad infinitum.

I've woken from sleep and had hallucinations of the outlines of scorpions on my ceiling made of glowing red, blue and yellow dots - kinda like Aztec art, but i assumed that was a flashback.

I've had a few aural hallucinations on the verge of sleep also - things like people whispering my name, or shouting "wake up!".

9. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I spend more time daydreaming than not. :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever had a normal dream. They're always insane! Sometimes I wonder about my mental health haha.

I've had dreams about pet spiders with dog heads, a lady with a sewn up face whose cats I was supposed to kill, Eric from That 70's Show trying to murder me, an igloo inside of a house on a cliff with football players (funnily enough when I woke up I was most shocked about the football players), a spaceship shaped like a briefcase that I was trying to get back to the mother ship after rescuing my little prawn infant because I watched District 9 before I went to bed, floating escalators made of cloth and a giant blue mosquito... things like that.

Sorry this post is so spastic, it's almost one-thirty in the morning. xD

10. Panda

Panda New Member

oh my goodness solaris! totally messed up. i thought it was maybe a medication i was taking or the times i was going to bed, but i've tried changing everything and these amazingly vivid and extremely strange dreams just keep coming. i guess i have an over-active adult imagination.

11. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

You're telling me.
    I mean honestly... a briefcase spaceship? What the hell is that?
    Why?
    I don't even own a briefcase...
    Or a spaceship, but hopefully one day that will change.

Most of my dreams are that strange. I don't take any medication or do any drugs so I've come to the conclusion that I'm just crazy.

I've had some really horrific nightmares also - that lady with the sewn up face was a pretty mild example.

Oh well haha.

Better to have an over-active imagination than one that isn't active enough. ;)
    At least in my opinion.

12. Timewriter

Timewriter New Member

I never did anything else.

13. Trace

Trace New Member

I currently am both. (And yes that is proper english)