1. joe

joe Member

Didn't always like writing, but love it now...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by joe, Mar 13, 2009.

I know there are some of you who love writing now, but may not have liked reading and/or writing when you were little. Or maybe you even hated it at some point.

If that sounds like you, what changed your mind?

I'm always fascinated by "unlikely origins" when it comes to creative people.

(Sorry if this thread has been posted before- I'm still new here, but didn't have time to check every single archive)

2. sweetchaos

sweetchaos Contributing Member

I can't say I disliked writing. I think it was more that I didn't know I liked it. I had been forced to write a short story in English in grade nine and wasnt' interested in the least. When I've been forced to do something, I lose all interest in it.

A little later that year, my friends and I were all trying to write novels. You know, the ones filled with a typical 14 year old's ideal alter-ego. A Mary Sue if you will. But I couldn't get past the second or third chapter. (which when I read it now, wasn't past the fifth or sixth page in a notebook..double spaced) I had big ideas, but little knowledge of how to get there.

Then, when I was about 19/20, I woke up in th emiddle of the night with this sudden urge to write. I had a whole story lined out in my head and I needed to get it down on paper.

That one hasn't gotten past chapter 7, and I've put it aside for a while because it's really not who I am anymore.

But in the end, I dolove writing...when I actually get around to do some. I would like to write everyday, but I never find the motivation to actually get around to doing it. I won't do that without someone pushing me to do it, but as soon as someone is there pushing me, I lose interest and don't want to do it. It sucks. LOL.

I love and hate writing at the same time....apparently I also like to ramble, using terrible SPaG, about stuff that is irrelavant to the topic of the thread..

3. ArckAngel

ArckAngel Member

As a child, elementary and Junior High, I didn't so much dislike writing. I--Hated--reading. In fact I probably couldn't read fluently until I was about eight or nine. That stopped in High School when I read 'The Outsiders' but I still wasn't really that interested in fiction. Though from the age of 14 on, I took part in Forum RPG's like the ones on this forum. And when I found that too limiting, due to the fact that some people didn't always do things they way I wanted them to, or their writing ability was below mine, and I moved on to short fiction.

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

I've always loved thinking up stories and characters but hated having to translate it too paper. I felt like my writing didn't do it justice, I have sooo many drafts that start and end with just one paragraph (if it's even lucky enough to be written on paper :/).

It's a slow process for me now, I write then stop for a few days to figure out how to get the emotion in for the next scene, music helps a lot.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats Contributing Member

I just found ways to enjoy it. It got better for example, when in school I could start picking my own topics and write about stuff I was interested. Then there's my recreational fiction writing, which is a hobby for my imagination that use to run me wild with day dreams in class. Now writing is a way to vent it, though I'm not really sure it helps as much as I wish it did :p.

6. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

I was always interested in writing, but too embarassed to try it until sixth grade. They were absolutely terrible, but I've come a long way since then (and still have a long way to go). After that I always write unless I'm emotionally down, which put things on hold for about a month. Writing is like a religion to me, I would go as far to say that my stories are like my personal Bibles.

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

I've never liked writing but I write anyway. You'd wonder how that's possible, but I tell you, it surely is. I write as a means to express creativity but do not actually like to write.

8. architectus

architectus Banned

Ever since I was a child I enjoyed coming up with stories, but I hated longhand. My handwriting was sloppy, and I couldn't write fast enough. Once I was able to type 50-60 wpm, I was able to put my ideas down quickly. My fingers still can't keep up with my thoughts, but they do well enough.

I didn't really start writing full stories unitl the last few years. I am almost finished with the first draft of my third novel. I pretty much write every day now.

9. Benska

Benska Member

The thing that prevented me from starting to write stories earlier was probably that I'd never actually tried creative writing, per se. Sure, I'd been forced to write short stories in school, based on a given topic with 5 or 10 minutes to come up with the storyline in my head, let alone some decent characters etc. though I would plan it out a little beforehand, sometimes.
    I have been an insomniac for as long as I can remember. Oftentimes I would lay in bed for hours on end, some of that time I would spend coming up with stories; but writing was a chore to me, so it never even occured to write them down... until a few years ago, that is.
    Since then, it's been somewhat sporadic, on and off. More on than off, I'd say.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've always liked writing too, though I only started taking it seriously very resently - I have always been coming up with stories.

11. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo Member

Farley Mowat (30+ books) said that he didn't like writing, but the feeling when he finished was so great it made him keep going. (I might have already said this in another thread).

For me, I just re-read some of the stuff I've already wrote to give me motivation. It seems the hardest part about writing, is opening the Word document. Go figure..

12. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

That's how it is for me too. Once I begin writing I can't stop, but it seems that opening my notebook is the hardest part...laziness! :)

13. Ghosts in Latin

Ghosts in Latin Senior Member

I never liked writing until I began roleplaying on a chat site in the 7th grade.

14. Beth

Beth Member

We're in the same boat. I don't like writing at all. Every sentence hurts to put it on paper... But at the same time I can't do without it. ;)