Tags:
  1. K~la

K~la New Member

Poetry Essay

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by K~la, Oct 29, 2007.

Ok, I don't know if anyone can help me with this sort of thing or not but I'm desperate and hoping that it will give me a start anyways.

Basically, I have to write a comparitive essay on poetry. I have to pick two poems from different genres with regard to the thematic impact of their representation of the relationship between human and natural worlds using specific aspects of genre, structure, and figures of speech in the argument. I've always had trouble with more formal writing, but this is the first time I've had to write an essay on poems. Is it any different than comparing stories in an essay? I just really don't know how to go about it?

2. Aleph Arcane

Aleph Arcane New Member

What a hellish topic. It reminds me of the stuff they'd give me in AP.

There's definitely a difference in comparing, being that poems normally have more alliteration, extended metaphors, and other such fun. I'd say that in comparing whatever poems you pick, read them both at least ten times each. Poems are smaller, therefore the meaning must be even less vague than in a story. You must look at everything with more possibilities, and accept that some may have many more than just one. An essay like this is never easy unless you're a natural at translating poetry. If you'd like anymore specific advice, ask and I'll try my best to answer.

3. K~la

K~la New Member

Thanks! I've been dreading this so much. I love writing, but when it comes to this stuff I just don't know what to do. I guess these are the times that make us what we are though, tackling what we don't normally write. Anyways, I'm going to take a stab at it and if I have anymore questions I'll be back.

4. Aleph Arcane

Aleph Arcane New Member

I hope you do well and approach it openly, perhaps even get an A. Of course, English teachers are always picky, even if you are a good writer.

5. elusive

elusive New Member

I was pretty decent when it came to writing essays about poetry. If you would like specific help with your essay email me the two poems you picked and I can actually give you extensive help. I am an english tutor currently so I can do my best. Poetry is hard but it's not impossible. :) My email is Lucafia311@aol.com

6. K~la

K~la New Member

I've decided to take you up on that offer. Any help I can get is definently needed. So, I'm gonna send the two poems to you now. Thanks:)

7. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

We do this stuff in AP almost every week. Poems, essays, short stories, diary entries, etc. I agree with you. It sucks; but I think I've become fairly decent at it. My English teacher marked my last essay a 9, which is the highest score a person can receive on an essay in that class. What I generally do first is mark-up the poems. I look for diction, detail, imagery, syntax, etc. What I'm usually looking for are differences or similarities, depending on if I'm comparing or contrasting. Sometimes I even do both. That way I can identify the authors' purposes, which creates a foundation in which I can effectively address the topic at hand.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hey K~la. i know what you mean about it being hard, al of my coursework i am doing at the moment is stuff like that. like the peice at the moment is about what the audience thinks about Romeo and Juliets relashionship and whether they were meant to be together, and let me say it is hard as f**k. when we get further on we also have to start comparing poems, from modern ones to classical ones and i dreading that too. all i can say is to just try and say what connections the two have and stuff like that, and give your opinion which reasons for them. quoting parts always helps get your marks up and then explain why you have quoted this part. i know it sounds pretty obvious some of the suggestions but they are simple things to do that help.

either way, try your best and i wish you luck.
    Heather :)