1. Southpaw2380

Southpaw2380 Member

Different forms of motivation

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Southpaw2380, Jul 30, 2013.

I know this can be parallel to the topic of defeating the dreaded Writer's Block, but I'd like to hear about how fellow writers keep themselves going throughout the writing process. I ask this because I took an interesting approach to it and it has brought me to new heights in terms of overall vision and production.

In my main novel, the protagonist plays hockey at one point for a team. To really get in the mood and the atmosphere of the story and what I was trying to achieve, I designed 3 shirts with the team name and his number on the back, had them made up, and had them sent to me. It wasn't too costly (maybe $70 for all three made and delivered). I wear them when I write, which is just another way to motivate myself to get it done. I also wear them out sometimes when I take a trip to a store or something, and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment in a strange sense. It's not typical I suppose, but it is a technique that has kept me committed to my writing in a way that doesn't involve me actually writing.

So does anyone else have a story like that in which they do something to motivate themselves in interesting ways?

~~SP

2. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

I travel to places that I'm writing about any time i can. I also skip around in a larger manuscript sometimes, rewarding myself for writing out a dry descriptive portion by then going and doing something more climactic

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Staff Supporter Contributor

I and KaTrian draw our MCs and put up the drawings above the computer screen while we write. It's not as much to remind us of how the characters look / what they wear, but to keep us in the proper mindset. We also do relevant things during longer breaks, i.e. if there's a gunfight coming up in the story, we might go to a gun range and shoot a bit, or if there's a horseback chase, we go riding etc. to help not only motivate us, but to make us remember all the neat little details about the things we are going to write about. I guess it's some kind of method writing, but whatever it's called, we love doing it, especially when we get to try something new because we're planning to write about it.

4. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

How do people afford to travel and do all of the things their characters do!

5. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

my character has a time machine and they're really expensive :(

6. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

Make one yourself, that could be motivating!

7. MsMaffia

MsMaffia Member

I really wish it was possible to favorite posts.

8. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Staff Supporter Contributor

We try to do as much as we can. When we can, we look up information and interview experts on the subjects we can't experience ourselves, like interviewing a SEAL about underwater demolition exercises / missions although only in a general sense without delving into classified details about particular missions they've done, but stuff like the gear they tote with them, how they set up timers etc, or interviewing a nuclear physicists and doctors about radiation, nuclear power plants, and effects of radiation on people since we obviously don't have the time or resources to study / do everything we write about. That kind of research is also very interesting and enlightening even though not quite as fun as doing stuff yourself.

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Feedback from beta readers is also a motivator, whether it's positive or negative.

10. Benjamin Harris

Benjamin Harris Member

In order for me to write, I need to be in the right frame of mind. This usually happens when I feel an emotion in a strong way. Whenever I feel and sad, angry or full of joy, I will try to write a few thousand words or flesh out the characters or plot as many of my best ideas came this way. On occasion, I have deliberately made myself feel sad by watching Marley and Me or another sad film in order to break through any block I'm currently experiencing.