1. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Style Different story, different voice.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Imaginarily, Sep 20, 2015.

If my "style" tag is misplaced, feel free to whack me with an inflatable bat.

Anyways.

Do you guys have different writing voices for your different stories? I was surprised to discover I do.

It seems that my protagonists dictate how their stories are told -- my vampire is an enormously happy individual, and so whenever I write about him I find myself using a much more informal tone, sometimes coming close to breaking the fourth wall. I haven't crossed that line yet, but he hasn't made it necessary yet. o_O

When I'm writing my fantasy thingy, I notice myself being much more concerned about having a professional tone to my writing - no smiles, no cheating, this is is a serious situation. My protagonist there doesn't seem to have a lighthearted bone in his body, so he demands everything written about him be perfect. Naturally, I find it more difficult to write this story well, because I can't/won't allow myself any room to play.

Does your voice vary from story to story?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Yep. Definitely. It's not necessarily based on the protagonist, but whatever it's based on, it changes.

Imaginarily likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Absolutely. The last few things I've written had totally different tones, voices and styles.

Imaginarily likes this.
  4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

More in tone than style. The style will accommodate the tone for sure, but I do things a certain way and I don't usually shake that from book to book.
    I'm slightly kooky and that comes through even with a bitter tone.

xanadu likes this.
  5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Definitely! Even when I write in related genres the voice may vary. Sometimes it's because of the character, sometimes due to the setting or the theme.

Imaginarily likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This is what I struggle with the most, especially in first-person. My main characters sound almost exactly the same. Granted the setting and theme might be different, but sometimes it feels like they're the same character in a different scenario.

Imaginarily likes this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

No, I only have one style / tone.

8. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I find this to be true in my case as well. The character's voice is the character's voice, but I definitely have ways of doing things, ways of showcasing that character's voice, that are consistent throughout each of my works. Essentially, one could probably read all my works and know they're by the same person, even if the characters and their voices are different.

Imaginarily and peachalulu like this.
  9. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Contributing Member

I don't think the way the story is told through the protagonist generally sums up a writers voice. They are two different things.

I remember Stephen King saying that your writing tends to be varied and influence by other factors (like what you're reading at the time) for a while, but over time your writing voice will develop and become the standard. Maybe you still haven't found your voice and you're mistaking your protagonist's personality as your voice.

Imaginarily, xanadu and peachalulu like this.
  10. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

That is a very interesting (and true) insight. Now that you've said it, I think that might very well be what I'm doing -- mistaking my protagonists' personalities for my own voice.

Perhaps it's the medium influencing me as well - I seem to have a more steady voice across varying roleplays than I do in my own solo prose, since that's where my practice had been prior to joining this forum.

Either way, one thing is clear:

the answer lies in writing more! :cheerleader: Practice, practice, practice.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I think what the OP is referring to is more like the tone of the story, or maybe the characters "voices", not the voice of the author. The last one is kind of your fingerprint as an author, the tone on the other hand can change with different projects.

Imaginarily likes this.
  12. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Contributing Member

Well, yeah, that's pretty normal. Obviously different characters are going to change between projects, otherwise you're just writing the same character in a different story. If you find you're doing that then it's most likely because that character is a representation of your actual self.

13. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

I do, but the differences are only obvious when describing what my characters see, hear or think. What I often do is letting the disposition and mindstate of my character seep into a narrative. For example, where a brick wall would be described in the chapter of one char as "a brick wall" in that of another it might be "a pitiful and dull collection of stacked bricks". It's a simple example ofcourse, but I tend to write as much of the narrative through the eyes and mind of my character.

When describing things from an objective stance, without this character being actively involved in it, I find that my writing often does have some similair patterns and style.

In a way this is logical, and if the style of writing was the same for each character I would think that either ones characters aren't very diverse, or one doesn't try to get into the head of characters as much, which does not have to be a bad thing ,mind you.

Imaginarily likes this.