1. Cyb3r Elite

Cyb3r Elite Member

Different Ways to Die

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cyb3r Elite, Aug 8, 2016.

Hello,
    I want to know all possible ways to die, the way I'm going to build up my story strongly depends on how one of the protagonists will die at the end, I would go, honestly, for a dramatic scene among a tragedy, so maybe I can create that with the ideas you guys can give me. Try the weirdest and darkest, my story's genre is sci-fi or superpowers, still, I want to hear all the ideas out there others came up with.

Thanks!

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Garotting
    Firing squad, after seeing others die before hand (I'm using this one)
    Bleeding out
    Making the heart burst (I'm using this one)
    Making nerves slowly shut down
    Bayoneted
    Impayled
    Snapping the neck (by hand, rope, impact)
    Freezing slowly, getting hypothermia, frostbite and stuff
    Burning
    Raditaion/ radioactive poisoning (exposure or ingestion)
    Drowning
    Smothering
    Crushing
    Shutting down the brain
    Hit and run

Sorry for the spelling mistakes...

3. Cyb3r Elite

Cyb3r Elite Member

That's actually a helpful bunch of suggestions,I might use one of those. Thank you.

4. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

A few others:

poison (gas or ingestion)
    electrocution
    bacterial infection/bacteria toxin - a big enough dose of botulin toxin will do it, but the tetanus toxin would work nearly as well
    snake/spider/etc venom
    given your hero's "superpowers" - some equivalent of kryptonite, perhaps some chemical that's perfectly innocuous to "normal" humans
    flaying
    dingo
    an extreme form of trauma to the brain (thinking piercing the skull and addling the grey matter, maybe with a red-hot wire)
    an oldie but a goodie: decapitation
    another oldie: whipping/flogging - in the British Navy, sailors were known to die during their punishment
    hanging, drawing, quartering (another oldie)
    crucifixion

5. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

You know, there was a show about this on SPIKE a few years ago...

Since you're doing a sci-fi, it could be really dark and unexpected to kill your character in a more old-school way. Drawing and quartering comes to mind, except instead of horses maybe tie him to treaded robots.

Cyb3r Elite and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  6. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

'All ways to die?' Well, don't forget yawning while removing your make-up before going to bed - accidentally inhale a ball of cotton wool, it lodges in your windpipe, absorbs respiratory secretions, you suffocate to death.

Basically 1. Think of a thing that exists (or doesn't!), 2. Imagine how it could kill someone.

Perhaps more guidelines? Is it supposed to be an accident, an execution, a murder...? Is it supposed to reflect on the character some way? Is there supposed to be any sort of deeper meaning? Do you actually have a plot yet, or are you trying to reverse engineer a story from a particularly horrible death at the climax? I reckon Chuck Palahniuk writes a lot of his stories from that approach (a short story called 'Guts' comes to mind; think it's available for free somewhere on the web).

Rita M Gardner likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Internal destruction/bleeding(concussive blast, beating, falling, etc.)
    Broken neck/spine
    Tortured to physical death/mentally to suicide
    Scared to the extreme causing heart attack
    Infection/Gangrene
    Bone Laminae(laminating the bones with inorganic material prevents blood cellular creation)
    Dehydration
    Cooked alive(i.e. boiled in water/oil/tar)
    Cannibalized
    Exposure to the elements (extreme climate heat/freezing, and large predatory fauna)
    Allergies
    Starvation
    Loneliness
    Exhaustion

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  8. Cyb3r Elite

Cyb3r Elite Member

Well, I don't suppose the death of the character is an accident, still, the way s/he dies is. I have planned events at different points of the story, some parts which I am working on are still missing though. There will be two protagonists, of the opposite sex, and one of them (the one who owns superpowers) shall die at the end to save the other. Still, I guess I will think of a way at the end of the story to propose the idea that they're still connected and haven't completely lost one another.

9. Cyb3r Elite

Cyb3r Elite Member

Those are certainly hell-like ideas! But that's a good imagination you got, thank you!

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Cyb3r Elite

Cyb3r Elite Member

I am considering the poison, that mostly fits along the story. I am truly thankful. :)

Michael Pless likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Cyb3r Elite The bone laminae I got from the first book in the Cobra series by Timothy Zahn, Turns out being an elite soldier in that world comes at the price of only living for like 50 years, due to the treatment to keep the body alive only works for around 25-30 years once the procedure is done to coat the bones in an alloy. :p

Cyb3r Elite likes this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

in the first 'act' of my current WIP a friendly unit gets nearly over run by the bad guys and I have a lot of death and dismemberment going on.. as the attack starts one guy is blown apart by an RPG (rudely interrupting him in the act of getting a blow job from the female MC), others are disemboweled by shrapnel, head blown off by machine gun rounds, then as the two sides come to close quarters it turns to getting down and dirty with hand weapons , combat knives, entrenching tools, knuckle dusters, bottles etc ... then finally the good guys call fire on their own position leading to various people (good and bad) being immolated by artillery rounds.